The other (more expensive) option is to keep a Core product tucked away to manage updates, though this will mean waiting for M to push the firmware to it and then letting the Core update the end points before reverting back to Roon.
I own a lot of legacy Sooloos kit including Control:One, Source:Five, Control:10 and Twinstore which I keep in a second remote system.
My current understanding of the Roon system is that the Control:One will have zero functionality under Roon but will continue to act as a Control for Sooloos until such time as M decide to no longer support these units. Given they are still selling the Control:15 this may still be a while. The Source:Five will continue to work as an endpoint. Can I presume that this will be for all five zones in the unit under Roon? I presume my Control:10 will act as a zone, but with zero Control functions available (ie blank screen).
My Twinstore will be able to act as a NAS with the Roon (similarly an MD600 would act as a NAS). If I did use the Twinstore as a NAS, does the Roon system make any changes to the files on the Twinstore that would prevent me reverting it back to a Sooloos system without the need to reimport all my music, or are the Roon metadata held in a database on the NUC without touching the Sooloos metadata files.
If I were to choose to run two Roon systems would I need to manage and groom two separate databases or can I easily allow changes in one be reflected automatically in the other? At present it is relatively trivial to transport a backup between my two Sooloos systems to keep them both identical.
How simple is it for me to transport the NUC running Roon between my two systems, each with their own NAS without creating significant database issues?