What DSD Rates Should I Expect

I currently have two devices: An Odroid C2 and a RPi3. Both are running the latest versions of DietPi. The Odroid is connected to a DAC via I2S and accepts data rates up to 192/24. The PPi3 has a HifiBerry DAC Pro which also can do up to 192/24. First question, why does Roon device setup show “bit-perfect” capability of DSD 128 for both devices
Of course if I try to upsample to this rate I get nothing, only rates up to 192 as expected. This leads me to my second question: I am looking at a new DAC which will do DSD256. Based on the current device setup, will I be limited to DS128 max. Is this a function of the ALSA driver in DietPi? I thought I saw somewhere in one of the Roon forums that these devices are capable of DSD256 and possibly DSD512.

Steve

I have an Odroid C-2 running into an iFi iDSD BL at DSD256 with no trouble at all.

I had a RPi 2 with Kali reclocker and Piano and it would run at PCM 384.

Wayne:

How did you load the audio drivers on your Odroid C2? Could you post the results of issuing “aplay -l” please? I would like to compare to what I have loaded.

I simply downloaded the driver from DietPi, unzipped it and burnt it to microUSB card with Etcher.
I have not changed any parameters in Rood Bridge

Hi Steven,

Unknown. We do not currently have any modifications that would effect DSD (eg: kernel/DietPi). We did have a patch which prevented pop on playback, but we missed this for our 4.9 kernel update, it will be added in next kernel update from now on.
I believe DSD64-256 is mostly hardware and driver dependent, your mileage will vary.

How did you configure the soundcard on this device? Did you use?:
dietpi-config > audio options > soundcard

Yes, I used that for the Odroid and only option was “default”. Thats where I added the two lines I messaged you earlier. For the Pi, I selected the HiFiBerry DAC Plus I have. Whats interesting is, if I go back and select “none” for the Pi, nothing changes in Roon, still the same bit perfect settings. I don’t know where Roon gets the setting corresponding to the sound card I select. Do you know of a way to generate a clean config.txt file?

Steve

Dan:

If this helps, here are the results for lsmod and aplay -l for each of my devices

Pi:

Odroid:

Hi @Dan_Knight

I’m new to DietPi & an Odroid C2, how do I get the patch you referenced for the pop on playback?

Hi Mike,

Currently, the DSD pop patch is only applied to the RPi kernel. The Odroid kernels are stock (provided by Meveric) at the moment, with no patches applied as we lack the manpower to maintain multiple kernels, across multiple devices.