What HI-Fi 50 Albums for Audiophiles

I think this is right, although I’d characterize it more as, Classical, jazz, and other “offbeat” genres are more popular among audiophiles than in the general music-listening population.

Speaking as someone in his 60s, it should be noted that we old fogeys grew up with rock, so it’s not that we’re completely unfamiliar with the territory.

1 Like

50 Albums for Audiophiles eh…some great albums here but I would not classify a lot of these as an audiophiles selection.

1 Like

Spotify has a playlist, “Songs To Test Headphones With” it has cuts from some of the albums on this list.

James_I stated “I’ve been wondering about the general musical tastes of audiophiles, and especially about the musical tastes of the Roon fans. Looks like Rock is less prevalent with Roon fans relative to society generally. That’s not a value judgment, just a point of interest.”

I don’t know if I’m an audiophile, but rock is kind of over as a popular musical style, the most recently produced musicians I have been listening to are Max Jury, Agnes Obel, Solange and Andra Day. I listen to WBGO at work, a jazz station. I did listen to Neil Young and Mogwai today because of the Hi-Fi 50 list. Mogwai led to Explosions in the Sky. I couldn’t name a new rock band.

1 Like

Just for the record, that’s me quoting @James_I, so not my words.

Sorry David Orgel, it copied like that. I corrected the attribution.

I only have three…But this list is from where…what country? Definitely different from what I mainly listen to…It’s always good to look at what others are listening to to see if you can find something new that you like!

It’s a UK magazine.

Ok…now that makes sense…It did not look like any type of Yankee list for sure…:wink:

My tally from the list is less than ten. The definition of audiophile seems to vary between listeners. Most of the albums appear to be heavily compressed with low dynamic range.
Here is my suggestion to a recording that should appear on the list. Rimsky-Korsakov: Scheherazade, Royal Philharmonic Orchestra conducted by Sir Thomas Beecham. It was recorded back in the sixties, on analogue tape, in the Wigmore Hall (London), with just a simple crossed pair of microphones. The Wigmore Hall, while it has fabulous acoustics, has one problem, it has an underground train line directly underneath it. So the recording was made on a Sunday afternoon, and the plan was to have a loud part of the music playing when the train went underneath the building. Unfortunately, they did not get the timing quite right, and the train can be heard in background as a distant rumble.
Sadly this version is not on Tidal, but many others are. Its is almost as if it was written to show off the abilities of both performers and Hi Fi equipment.

RoonShareImage-636496551991220002

I have just discovered it is on Tidal, has a different cover than my LP and CD.

What Hi Fi’s list and stuff.tv’s list of 52 audiophile albums have 14 albums in common.

Perhaps they’re worth listening to…

1 Like

Careful, I think that website is infected, at least it was this morning.