What information is Roon server collecting from me?

It is not possible. The metadata is sent to our servers. This is a requirement of our service.

We do not use the term private information - its definition is far too subjective.

We divide your information into 5 explicit definitions in our privacy policy. See the “Our commitment to your privacy” section.

The personal information and sometimes profile information in our privacy policy are the parts that can identify you as a person. This is called linked personal data by many sources, including the GDPR and the EU DPDs.

There is an additional concept of linkable personal data that can be combined together with other data to personally identify you. Examples of this data include your IP address and location, which is tied to your linked personal data by way of your membership.

We also consider location information and payment information as explicitly important personal-level data, falling into the category of linked personal data and linkable personal data.

The rest is all about your music collection and what you do with Roon. This is not stored with your personal data (all of the above). Let’s call this analytics data. There is a 1-way relationship to this analytics data (personal-to-analytics, not analytics-to-personal). There is no way to link your play or what is in your library, back to you personally.

For linked personal data, you can change/remove them at any time. Pursuant to GDPR Article 17 Section 3(e) , we do not delete the fact that you signed up for a Roon trial.

For linkable personal data, when you cancel/expire your license, the linkable personal data information is deleted.

For analytics data, stop using Roon. We only have access when the Core sends it. If you don’t use Roon, it can’t send anything. For historical analytics data, we may or may not delete it. It can not be used to personally identify you.

We’ve given this much thought and I believe we have treated the matter with respect, and have provided reasonable information which is easily understandable.

While we have not had an external audit on this matter, we believe we are compliant with GDPR and the European directives for data privacy.

Many Roon members have read and have understood our privacy policy (as evidenced by the others posting here). The policy was written in plain language as to not confuse to obscure what we are doing.

I am a co-founder of Roon Labs and our COO. If you need any clarifications, I’m happy to respond.

12 Likes