What is a linear power supply and what is it used for/advantages?

Have you actually read the thread?
LPS are like cables. Some think they make a difference, some don’t.

2 Likes

Yes Ged I skimmed the thread, but there are 60 posts and thats a lot of posts if you’ve just come across it. But yeah, I agree with what you say about cables and LPS, but I think I did notice a real difference with my Stack Audio Volt LPS, and that was literally from the first few hours. I guess my main point is still that with the hifi communities being full of threads about LPS for streamers and DAC’s, there is literally none for LPS for CD’s, and I think that’s strange.

I think probably some of the more exotic players come with external supplies but then the three people who buy them a year can’t hear the difference over the noise the superyacht is making :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

This is the kind of thing that’s pretty sad IMO, a “Naim CD5” CD player ($2250)… but wait, you won’t get the best out of it unless you spend another $900 on a “Flatcap 2” power supply. This is what that PSU looks like inside:

Why wasn’t a $2k CD player built with a “proper PSU” from the beginning if it makes so much difference? Well, perhaps because arguably it doesn’t make much difference (according to a review), or perhaps because they want to fleece you for another $900?

3 Likes

Oh, and this is what those “audio grade” capacitors in that expensive linear PSU may look like inside:

IMG_5037

1 Like

There are of course tinkerers and even some specialty companies, who modify hifi equipment, replacing active and passive components with boutique parts or even replacing complete power supplies, as well as applying damping materials – funny though, that there aren’t much measurements other than anecdotal evidence proving their effectiveness.

As the worst example I remember from recent memory is the tinkerer replacing the caps in his hypex n-core switching amp modules touting jaw dropping improvements, while the device designer makes a strong point of the specific component used being optimized to attain the extremely low distortion values via comparative measurements.
Go figure…

Yeah the flat cap was such rip off.

That PSU is a thieving great rip-off. Toroidal tranny, only half-wave rectification, a few caps and basic voltage regulation with off-the-shelf ICs.

I have an LPS for my Mytek Brooklyn DAC - purchased about 2 weeks ago

Just noticed that both of the units that make up the LPS are pretty hot to the touch. Is this normal for audio LPS, and if not can anybody advise steps to take to rectify?

Thanks

LPS is at best 60% efficient and the 40 comes out in heat.
That’s one of the reasons switched mode are popular.

1 Like

Thanks Ged, so are you saying this is ok and nothing is going to get fried?

I can’t guarantee it so don’t sue me :relaxed: but I would expect some warmth. Obviously it depends on how well designed the thing is and how they attached the heat sinks.

1 Like