What is Roon? My thoughts

I think you’re being a bit dismissive here, because there are lots of reasons to maintain a local collection. First, while I agree that streaming is readily available, and that there are millions of things you can stream, there are plenty of albums that you can’t stream, because they’re not available. For example, I’m a big fan of Fred Deakin (formerly of Lemon Jelly) and have 57 of his albums (actual albums, mixtapes, singles, promotional material, and so on). Only a very small amount of that material is available to stream. I also have quite a few digitised albums of Bulgarian Jazz that are not available online, nor ever likely to be. I have plenty of other albums that fall into the same category.

Second, while you might well be happy with whatever mastering or version of an album Tidal or Qobuz choose to. make available to you, I prefer to be able to choose a specific version of some albums. For example - and I’ll agree upfront that this is excessive - I have 11 versions of Dark Side of the Moon. Do I play them all? No. Can I tell the difference between them all? No. But it pleases me to have the option to listen to each of them when I’m in the mood.

This I will agree with, though I’m sure there are probably some young(ish) collectors too.

One final example:

5 Likes