What is Roon? My thoughts

I have a few pictures on my walls…most are one off but some are not, some I have taken pictures of and have them as images on my devices and cloud to show, and or look at when I’m not at home. Should I just throw away my originals as I have a digital copy I can see them from the cloud. Why no of course not.

I have records from my child hood and my parents younger days too…and they get played as I have a means to do so, and I still will buy older vinyl and newer ones because it has that nostalgic magic still.

6 Likes

I did just that over the last few days. Thanks for bringing Thierry’s filters to my attention. They work great! This has reconciled me with Roon!

3 Likes

Hey Marco,

I am glad you like it!! Thierry is a great guy and his filters work better than any other RC I have tried. I really enjoy what it has done for my main system. 6 years in, I cannot believe how I ever got by without Roon. I listen to way more music than I ever did before Roon. I would say my CD player has a huge layer of Dust on the Power button…;-). My only other far flung want would be Multi-Channel…However I cannot even conceive the price of a Multi-Channel DAC…Stereo is all I really need …Multi-Channel can still be had for TV and Movies…

2 Likes

I also like bacon in the morning. Something about bacon gets me going. My thoughts.

Hi all, 286th post, ‘ says it all.
As for me, i think Roon should design a standalone streamer hardware. Wouldn’t be too costly nor tricky. Something headless, with just the Roon server app on an audiophile/affordable windows PC with spdif/tosllink/usb output (please, please) and the option of an external silent power supply (Asus U game?). Yes: to connect DIRECTLY to an external DAC.
I think roon craps (oh forgive me) all over streamers except maybe innuos app. And that expensive streamers are solely basing their expensive price on non-streamer features such as silent power/dac/amp features.
Seriously, also, Nucleus is too expensive and i have maybe five local albums (I tried with Qobuz, Bandcamp but … meh).
And then, Roon could also develop/sell one or two standalone usb and coax spdif silencers. Maybe buy back licence from ifi and sell cheap mass produced copies. I reckon you would see more people getting into Roon because with streamer/silencer, it’s dumb to setup but still modular/flexible re: DAC/amp etc…

You’re pretty much describing what a Rock is. You can build one into a silent fanless chassis for very cheap.

A Naim user? You must be 65+? Are you FatCat or Suziwong on the Naim forum?

I resemble that statement I am 72 :smiling_imp:

Is it a bit like a Harley Davidson , you have to old to afford one :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

But when old enough to afford one I no longer want one! Such is life.

1 Like

Hmm I’m a Naim user and under 55.

Rich Kid ?? :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

Not Serious

1 Like

Lol, no I had just saved up for a new amp and saw this one and it was also considerably cheaper 5 years ago when I bought it. My dealer sold it me at the original asking price which changed after the delayed launch of it and has risen each year. If I sold it now it get my money back most likely on the 2nd market as they hold value.

1 Like

As I am. At least for a few more minutes. :slight_smile:

Happy birthday or are you returning it?

2 Likes

A few more minutes was an exaggeration but 55 will, in fact, be the next b-day I celebrate.

I am most certainly not returning it. I love it. Waking up to a cup of coffee, catching up on the news, listening to Beck on a pair of Mezes. It’s a fine morning here :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Sometimes it’s the little things Roon does.

Don’t know if any other apps show this track as a 3 part composition.

1 Like

Attention: @MarcMarc @Torben_Rick, and any others to whom this may apply.

Roon Labs doesn’t condone nor tolerate discussion of methods to defraud recording artists of their royalties on this forum. Posting a how-to for doing so is egregiously unethical and has earned that user a suspension.

As inveterate music lovers, we’re grateful for the passion and creativity that musicians have shared with us and for the artistic works that have enriched our lives.

We’re not going to keep repeating this; discussing methods for stealing music or circumventing the payment of applicable service fees to our streaming partners is absolutely, unequivocally verboten. I hope our feelings on the matter are absolutely clear.

6 Likes