What is Roon? My thoughts

When it works roon is brilliant,but the last 18 months have been a buggy hell,think I’ve cancelled and resubbed about 8 times,hardly had a issue before 1.8 but since then it’s been a inconsistent nightmare,sometimes a fw update feels like there finally sorting this out then the nxt update destroys it,in the end I jst gave up

4 Likes

Erm, Roon already displays links (when they exist for an Artist/Composer) to Wikipedia, Facebook, Twitter, Web page and Instagram on Artist/Composer pages…

5 Likes

Nothing lasts forever, including Roon and its critics.

1 Like

For me, the beginning with release 1.7 was hell and I did not progress because I knew too little and thought in Foobar2000 solutions.

Then it got better with the help of the community and I found a solution for many of my problems or I learned to accept it. Now it is a bit worse again and other problems occur. I think the new week will show what weekend load and program code make. Sometimes the number of customers grows faster than the purchased service or the service provider does not deliver the purchased service. It’s not all release changes.

I understand everyone who doesn’t continue with persistent problems. Many are back after a short time.
Roon is like a virus in its uniqueness and problems. Once infected, it will be hard to get along without Roon forever, despite all the problems.

rudimentary manually much more goes

cool slogan and so true

This is not even remotely universally true. Anyway, Discogs links for releases would be nice, but even better would be metadata import from Discogs (possibly optionally)

1 Like

I suspect it’s probably 100% true. @Geoff_Coupe’s original point was that Roon displays links when they are available. If they’re not available, then clearly they’re not displayed.

Not so much that they don’t care but that software is really hard, good developers are in high demand, and high-end manufacturers are pretty small and specialized operations with limited skills in managing software projects. I own Linn and Chord gear, and I’ve also owned Auralic and Naim. Their control apps are uniformly mediocre, buggy, useless for interacting with my medium-sized (27.5k tracks) collection. Which is not surprising given the above.

2 Likes

There are many artists who have their own domain or pages on some service, and the links are not included in Roon (or incomplete)

2 Likes

Fair point, but as I’m not sure what mechanism makes a link available to Roon, I’m not sure why some appear and some do not. I’m still fairly sure that those that are available are included. As for the rest … who knows.

@DaveN If 3/4 is missing in the Roon database, more than the two-thirds majority of all links are also missing, even if manual sweaty rework is done.

It’s probably not totally easy as FB or Insta accounts, for instance, are not simply identified by the artist’s name. For Wikipedia, linking to the name might work in general, and yet there is, e.g., a Wikipedia page for Howe Gelb that’s missing on the Howe Gelb page in Roon.

Not that this is a big problem, I can go to Wikipedia. However, @Bill_Janssen’s original point had been that Discogs links for releases would be nice, to which the answer “Erm, Roon already displays links (when they exist for an Artist/Composer) to Wikipedia, Facebook, Twitter, Web page and Instagram on Artist/Composer pages…” is less than helpful, as artist pages on these services are not a replacement for releases on Discogs, but in particular if it is not even generally true that these links always exist.

1 Like

I’ll be honest, I don’t really see this as being much of a problem. I don’t expect Roon to have the scope same and depth of the entire internet. If I want to find out about an artist or band I can do so, independently of Roon.

Same point as I made to Uwe: is this really a problem? All of us have the entirety of the internet at our fingertips … do we really need explicit links within Roon for information that we can quite easily find for ourselves in just a few seconds?

2 Likes

Like I already said:

To repeat, my point was that a Discogs link for releases was suggested, which a mod replied to with an unnecessary “Erm, Roon already displays …”, mentioning (a) something that has nothing to do with the suggestion and (b) is not even entirely true.

Personally, a Discogs link would be nice, but metadata import from Discogs would be better because currently I have to manually copy metadata from Discogs to fill holes in Roon, or, if I am adding a release to Discogs as well, have to occasionally enter it once on Discogs and once in Roon

1 Like

Personally, I don’t need or want Roon to become a link to the entire universe of information about a performer or band and their music. I use Roon to LISTEN to music. A brief summary of the album or performer works for me. If I want more information, I can Google it. Let’s not bog down Roon with too much information that is not music. And, I definitely don’t need the ability to edit any of that.

I would like to see Roon spend their energy in making Roon work smoothly for all of their customers.

This is my desire. I don’t expect everyone to agree.

13 Likes

The information, crosslinking of credits, and ability to edit is my whole reason for using Roon. Without it, I could as well use the Naim app for pressing Play on an album, and save the money

2 Likes

@DaveN i always look at the advertising promise and see the gaps in the gold facade. My 1st year decision was made with higher expectation. The first renewal accepting known errors and limitations. Now a few more issues have come up, but I’m still on board and hope it resolves.

However, only the better beats the good and those who can’t find an alternative to extend their solutions will have to live with it.

@Jim_F the few that are there also work for me, I am looking for the summary for 3/4 of my library, I am looking for artist images for 80% of my library…

It’s all there for my 2500 linked albums in Tidal and Qobuz. I usually listen to music 6 or 8 hours a day and rarely read anything. I also don’t sit here looking at their pictures.

1 Like