What is Roon to you?

Quite simple really. A music player with a convolver and a very good DSP EQ. No Tidal, no Qobuz, no internet radio. Just local files. Oh yes, and RAAT of course.

1 Like

Lovely to read this. I am all in on Tidal, but I love to read that someone is purely using Roon to access their own music. A rarity I reckon based on repsonses so far! :+1:

1 Like

I’m 99% my own music as well. I have a Qobuz subscription, but that’s for discovery. If I find something I think I’d like to listen to again, I get it. I like having all my music under my control (see other threads about music disappearing from the services or tracks missing from streamed versions). Plus when it’s under my control, I can put it on the SD card in my car and not have to worry about a good internet connection when driving. There’s a lot of New England that isn’t streaming friendly when driving.

1 Like

I’m all local files here too (although I also use Spotify a little when out and about).

Roon to me put my music collection in my hands - in a very tangible and physical way to me the tablet I use is my music and Roon. Remote for iTunes and Cambridge Connect had never really achieved that in the same way as Roon - slick, reliable and easy to navigate.

It reminds me of something I read years ago (was it in Gramophone?) that envisioned a future for digital music in the home where a remote - something like an iPod - would be used to call up and queue music to play. Roon for me is the ultimate expression of the idea of the iPod, putting all your music at your fingertips.

1 Like

Tidal is a great resource, one I just started using. I am aware, of course that it could all go away tomorrow. Then, I can still play the 1,500 LPs I recorded and about 1,000ripped CDs. Tidal fills in the gaps with albums I couldn’t find or didn’t want to afford.

1 Like

I think this is where I’m headed too. When I started streaming (with Spotify in early 2010s and latterly Tidal HiFi) I became very laissez-faire with music; I no longer cared about it, as long as I could consume it at the best quality available. I think with the solid advent of HD/MQA/HiRes music available to own, and with Roon providing the ability to actually use music again as a tangible thing then I think the future is very bright.

Mike, :blush:.

I think it was all the negativity I was reading regarding the tightening up of Roon Ready regulations that prompted me to ask the question. We Roonites need some positivity!

Great responses so far :clap:

3 Likes

enjoy. Sonos amp and Roon.

classical music can be a masterpiece😏

Me too. I am 93% local… and the Focus feature just made it 100% easy for me to check that statistic. :grin:

3 Likes

Hey Red_R,

99% of what I listen to is my own rips! I do belong to Qobuz which is great for listening to new stuff when Roon Radio kicks in. Yet I still buy CD’s for ripping as I think they still sound better than what Qobuz delivers to my system. I also D/L some high res files from HD Tracks and their ilk.

HAve you seen CA stream magic ?

Replaces CA Connect, not quite roon but an improvement

I don’t have my Cambridge streamer anymore to try it with. Nice kit though, but I think it’s such a tall order for some of these companies to develop the IT nous it just take to develop a good stable streaming platform.

According to Roon by using the Focus and storage location filter. I have 642/683 albums which is 94% local music. I use Tidal to fill the gap and discover new albums similar to what I listen.

I really love all the metadata and links we have in the Bio which make it easy to follow a singer
and find other album or tracks she or he sings.

Sometimes I play music on the PC and from Roon I can switch it to the living room or the other way around. I also like to listen my music in lossless format on my (iPhone, Dragonfly Red, Shure E535) using the wifi when I’m on the balcony sitting in the sun and get no distraction from outside noise.

I am starting to use the DSP in compatibility mode and using the precise, minimum phase. So far so good and also the Volume leveling. i’m just trying to figure out the difference between Volume leveling and the Headroom Management. I really like volume leveling because when I listen to different album is random play I don’t get big volume change between songs.

Now just wait for Roon 2.0 with new features !

1 Like

Roon is like my personal music historian, my curator. It’s also an important audio component with it’s RAAT technology. I’m a lifetime Plex subscriber (got in really early mainly for video at the time), and over time they really upped their metadata game and have a nice presentation. However, Roon wins hands down over any service I’ve tried in regards to metadata retrieval, bios, the cross-referencing/relationships, and I love how I can EASILY see multiple versions of the same album. The presentation is slick, beautiful, CONSISTENT. The Zone feature and Display features are things that I didn’t know I needed until I started using them. I’m mainly Windows endpoints around the house and my wife and I move our playlists around them regularly. The DSP is first rate. It has taken the edge off the sound which I thought was pretty good to begin with. I don’t everyone is going to be able to fully appreciate this depending on the gear listening environment, but I hear it and I’m at the point where every little bit counts. Plex can’t do this for me, it’s there, but for video. I used to say that I would never continuously pay $100+ a year for music playback software, but having gone through the trial (they’ll take my money tomorrow) I’m a believer. I can’t see myself using anything else.

(Now get Amazon HD integration. Just found that Qobuz does not have everything and some items are incomplete for whatever reason while Amazon has it.)

2 Likes

The more I get into it, the more impressed I am. To me, Roon is deep.

3 Likes

And I bet it’s a massive help during this difficult time in Victoria, no-one want to be locked indoors but with Roon it would be bearable

1 Like

Roon is a community of music lovers that share a killer music platform. I listen to music everyday and now seek to explore the wealth of knowledge that is this community.

3 Likes

I still have my CXN but it is a bit moth balled because of Roon (its a V1 hence not Roon Ready), I use a RPi/ Allo Digione at a tenth the cost , they both feed my audiolab M-DAC as a headphone amp.

I often wonder about quality but I don’t detect any difference.

1 Like

Roon is a very convenient way to listen to music - especially streaming via Qobuz and live radio. Local library stuff is accessible as well. I also use other programs, but Roon is certainly a useful and easy to use platform.

1 Like

It started as a more cost-effective alternative to Sooloos to stream to my Meridian DSP’s, initially on a recycled laptop. Now it’s so much more. Whether its for muzak while working from home, or a more serious listening experience, roon just works… efficiently and unobtrusively.

1 Like