What is the latest concert you've been to? [2016-2019]

Michelle Lewis serenading me as I type at a garden in Billericay

1 Like

Nice pic, Chris.

1 Like

Lauren Housley and her great band now playing

Alan Keary (I’m told his dad plays with Van Morrison. Dave Keary) on bass and fiddle, He was amazing. CJ Hillman on pedal and slide. Tom Dibb Guitar. All world class…

Glastonbury.
Lots of venues from stomach churning bass in the dance arenas to one man and a uke. Reminds you how shit all hifi is at rendering a full on live gig bass, people and a performance space.

Jonathan Wilson: Acoustic and solo gig at a small venue called Blue Shell in Cologne. A very intimate concert, just about 80 people there. Enjoyed it very much - great musician.

Sorry for the bad quality of the image. I was focused on music, not on my camera settings :wink:

1 Like

Never apologise for a pic like that. You were there supporting live music and as you day the experience can be so good, who cares about camera settings.

1 Like

Chormeo and Toro Y Moi at the Hollywood Bowl

That was a gig and a half. The Flyin’ A’s opened the show and soon reminded us why we wanted them back again…

Then Eve Selis with her great band of Mark Intravaia on Guitar, Larry Grano on Drums and vocals with Josh Jewsbury filling in the bass role.
This was a first for us enjoying a 2 hour set that felt like 10 minutes. The curfew prevailed in the end or they could have played all night.

An exceptional concert on so many levels. The Blind Boys of Alabama and Amandou and Mariam. Each with their own segments and together. I’ve never seen the National Concert Hall in Dublin rocking so much!

.sjb

3 Likes

Did ever get to see Ladysmith Black Mambazo last time they played the NCH?
I would imagine it would be similar experience.

Missed that one for whatever reason. The other truly memorable concert there was the Watersons, sublime.

.sjb

Took a bit of a punt on Macy Gray in the Sugar Club in Dublin and it certainly was a game of 2 halves, punctuated by a long but impressive and enjoyable drum solo. At half time the band had impressed, a really funky sound, perhaps a mix of George Clinton, Stevie and Prince.

Then she came back after stating she tho she was playing the “supper club” and there would be 150 year olds eating food and how delighted she was to have some a wonderful audience and the concert really took off. She was certainly playing to the converted but we all went home happy.

.sjb

3 Likes

I was lucky enough to be invited to The Rambling Man Festival by Elles Bailey as she was playing the blues stage for the first time. That was very good of her and I had a great time meeting up with my Brother there. Shame I could stay late to enjoy Beth Hart as life commitments got in the way

Elles Bailey

Elles with Stevie Watts on Organ

Elles with Joe Wilkins

Joe Wilkins really plays blistering blues

Curtain Call

Saw Macy in the NCH, last time she was in town. Unusual for the NCH the concert was about 45 mins delayed, to the point you were unsure whether it was a ‘no-show’ by the artist.

1 Like

Macy was interviewed on BBC Radio 4 Front row this evening, she played a couple of songs live also.

Should be available to listen again soon.

Josh Ritter - Union Chapel Islington Monday 22nd July. That man really enjoys his work - beaming smiles throughout and a true appreciation of his audience. Recommended. He even managed to get the whole band including double bass into the pulpit for a few numbers.

Last night, Public Service Broadcasting with orchestra and choir performing The Race for Space as part of The BBC Proms. It is being shown on BBC Four tonight.
It was a really great evening, I love the album and this slightly different version was great.

2 Likes

Chili Gonzales in front of Cologne cathedral.

2 Likes

Here is the blog from our last gig with the Eve Selis Band supported by The Flyin’ A’s

https://www.littlerabbitbarn.com/eve-selis-the-flyinas-saturday-13th-july-2019

Yola, Shakey Graves, Lord Huron at Hollywood Bowl last night
Yola was very good, Shakey Graves good–best when he soloed.
Lord Huron was weak, repetitive but earnest.
Shakey Graves below