What is the latest concert you've been to? [2020-202*]

PR photo of New World String Project

New World String Project, last Sunday. Excellent Celtic harp, and an instrument I’d never heard of before, a Swedish nyckelharpa (second from the left there).

Just bought tickets to Twisted Pine for 2/28. I had never heard of them, but checked a couple of youtube vids and decided to go. Nice medium venue with good acoustics. Here in Alaska, we have to dig deep for concerts as we don’t often get the big names. Meanwhile, I found a couple of Twisted Pines’ albums on Qobuz and was pleasantly surprised at how good they really are!

We just enjoyed n intimate house concert with Megan O’neill hosted by Paul and his wife Paula Carr AKA The Rev Pac-Man in Billericay.
We got to enjoy some old songs and some first public performances too from her forthcoming album.
Of note was her version of Time in a Bottle which was commissioned for a forthcoming Netflix series, about which she could say no more. It was truly haunting. The evening finished with Megan unplugged and seated as you can see.

The end of the first set. You don’t get much closer to the music than this.

Unplugged and seated, thanks Megan… She had us all singing along… a great night.

That’s me in the corner :joy: Losing my religion at the vicarage :joy:

Some tour dates not to miss

1 Like

That was amazing, just attended a weekend guitar workshop with the wonderful Brooks Williams.
That counts as a gig as he played plenty for us but so what daunting when you have to play for him. Great fun and very worthwhile for any guitar players out there.

Couldn’t agree more - Brooks was guest tutor on a guitar retreat I went to a few years back in Cornwall. Lovely guy, and as you say, free gig thrown in!

Must book myself on another sometime soon - check out link below.

1 Like

That looks great, I recommend any players attend these things as you learn from the best and stuff you won’t get in books. Great fun too.
I have been on two now with Brooks and will go again exit year… in the meantime I have to digest all I learned already.
Be prepared to play for and with your musical inspirations… Scary… :joy:

Just came from Nouvelle Vague show. Great as always.

Well, if you enjoy roots blues played as well as you will ever hear it, you need to see Rag Mama Rag. They nailed it.
Also, they played a lovely tribute to their friend, the late Neil Innes performing See You In My Dreams, up tempo on the Ukulele. Ashley told me that Neil got to finish his album before his untimely death only recently having moved near them in south west France and Ashley and Debbie played on it. It was great to have a quick chat with them after the show.

1 Like

Michelle Malone

1 Like

Amazing talent , we loved her opening for us at Little Rabbit Barn

Roy Gandy from Rega assured me, the reason I can’t play like that is because I have a day job…
I got him front row seats for the occasion.

Small live gigs are amazing.

Just got in from seeing a Morganway play in Brentwood Essex and they hit the spot again… a great live band not to be missed…

A couple of snaps from a great night.

More pics from the night courtesy Andy Sheard with little or no light to play with,

For @evand and other fans of Sol Gabetta…
Yesterday (02/29/2020) I saw her live at Konzerthaus Dortmund (Germany).

NHK Symphony Orchestra, Tokyo
Paavo Järvi (conductor)
Sol Gabetta (cello)

Toru Takemitsu, How slow the wind
Robert Schumann, Cello concerto in A minor
Anton Bruckner, Symphony No. 7

A truly unforgettable evening. Nearly 20 minutes of standing ovations!!! That says it all…

Sol Gabetta’s autograph :star_struck:

5 Likes

Chick Corea Trilogy with Christian McBride and Brian Blade in Palau de les Arts Reina Sofía

Incredible performance and venue.

5 Likes

This was a bit different, Jon Hopkins in Dublin.

Yin and Yang interspersed throughout the evening. He had about 15 minutes of “technical difficulties” so I’m unsure if we actually got the gig as intended.

.sjb

5 Likes

We just hosted Honey Ryder for the second time and what a wonderful band they are. Lovely people too.

The evening was opened by an 18 year old Isabella Coulstock who beguiled is all with her singing, songwriting and confidence. She will go far.

Isabella Coulstock

The boys had to embrace their inner Marilyn’s tonight, and you don’t get that on your Hi Fi :joy:

Alan ‘The Hat’ after the gig with one very special T Shirt.

A true fan if ever their was one.

Martin has a lot to answer for. Amazing how so many players perform with dreadnaught guitars which look physically huge on them; when they are plugged in for performance. And ironically smaller orchestra models have (IMO) much better tonal definition and balance. Anyway…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMeTjDhFSO8

One every week …

1 Like

Return to Ireland’s National Concert Hall, for the Irish Chamber Orchestra, playing Mozart & Strauss.
(subject to 60% capacity for indoor events for fully vaccinated masked attendees)

Spectacular to be out and experience the scale and depth of an actual soundstage, real in person performers playing on stage in front of you.

6 Likes

i would like to recommend a similar topic, it is about concert tickets and experiences
It fellt asleep a bit, you can have a look here

tom

1 Like

Went to Monterey Jazz Festival this weekend. 1/2 capacity, vaccination required.

Miho Hazama and her m_unit had a commissioned work.

Herbie Hancock with Lionel Loueke

Gerald Clayton

Immanuel Wilkens

Others included, Pat Metheny and Side Eye, Kandice Springs, Christian Sands, Terri Lynne Carrington, George Benson, Mimi Fox

7 Likes