What is your highest DR?

I’ve got a 24 (Montreal Symphony/Dutoit on Decca) and a 23 (Previn, I think on a disc called High Tech Orchestra on Philips)

A little digging around for fun - I found a 0.8 (Go All The Way - The Raspberries on the Guardians of the Galaxy soundtrack), and a 24.4 is my highest for a ‘pop/rock’ track - The Post War Dream from Pink Floyd’s The Final Cut… Both sound fabulous in their own way.

1 Like

It is a silent track. Hard to beat that :grinning:

Unable to beat you, @Ludwig:smirk:

I did get a little scared thinking there was something wrong with the file at first.
Only then I noticed which track it was. :smile:

I have a handful of 29’s and then its down hill from there…FWIW I really don’t mind what it is - as I enjoy the track for the artistic value, not the DR value.

2 Likes

I’m scared to look.:weary:

Wonder if Donald Trump uses Roon?

If so, he would undoubtedly have the biggest DR, it would be enormous, it would be so big that he would need speakers the size of Trump Tower to play it …

4 Likes

Can we, The Netherlands, please have the second biggest DR? :wink:

3 Likes

Yes, as long as the song is not sung in Spanish. Total losers (watch the video!)

I’ve seen it, hilarious isn’t it? :grin:

My version (Slatkin, St. Louis) is 23.

Decca Legends: Daphnis et Chloe?

AJ

That one was for Bolero.

I have the Dutoit/Montreal Daphnis (23), the Monteux/LSO (21) and the mono Ansermet/Suisse Romande (23) - all Decca.

I misremembered. My recall was that “Bolero” was on the 1999 Decca Legends disc. But I see now that, no, I have it on another Dutoit/OSM album, a Double Decca.

AJ

Mine is 30: Lutoslawski “Novelette”, Second Event - Krystian Zimerman

…then a dozen or so 29s and 28s (all classical too)

What is the DR displayed for the album (rather than the individual track)?

I have individual tracks showing DR 30 on albums that display DR of 22. Can someone explain the reason? Surely one of those figures must be wrong or misleading?

I’d say it’s simply that the particular track has a wider DR than the album does overall - and others, of course, may be narrower.

But surely the DR for the album should be for the complete album, not an average of each track? The dynamic range for the album would therefore be the same as that of the track with the greatest DR.
[Edit: actually it could be greater than the track with the greatest DR: it would go from the lowest volume on any track to the highest volume on any track]

DR should be a Time Weighted average [listener fatigue considerations] for EACH Track…and then a Time Weighted average across the entire album

And Roon uses the R128 method for DR…which compares the 95th percentile versus the 10th percentile…as against the Crest DR method, which can be misleading to moments of silence and transitory peaks