What is your usage of the History tab of Roon?

As discussed above, it’s currently the only way to edit playcounts. So I use it rarely, but when I need to edit playcounts, it’s the only option. This use case is not in the poll.

If you could filter by zone or even artist and date I would use it, but it’s just a long list with no options to find what I want easily in it if I forgot what it was and I liked it from a radio session.

1 Like

I can’t think of any particular use for History, but it’s nice to know that the first track I played in Roon, on the 2nd of December 2017, was Midnight in Harlem by Tedeschi Trucks Band, followed by Baby Come Home by John Martin. It’s an historical document, not something I feel I need to refer to, but I suspect I’d miss it if it wasn’t there.

1 Like

Enlighten me David? I have given this good thinking but i cannot for the life of me understand why?

After running in my new speakers I had racked up 500+ hours of repeat play on a few albums. Had I not been able to go to the history to delete these plays, they would have remained as my top albums forever

3 Likes

Never use it and didn’t know it was there until recently. Anything played recently that I need to know about I use the Now Playing Queue for. I have zero interest in statistics about album/artist play counts etc so have no real use for analysing or filtering it.

3 Likes

History needs better manipulation tools and this has been requested for a long time. It is important to allow a user to see and correct problems with History as it affects any system suggestions.

3 Likes

Now I’m torn: it is fascinating to see what’s been played; but anything to maintain the database as best I can…

… so how much does doing so actually prune the database?

I have been deleting my history for a long time. I always keep only the last month, and sometimes not even this one.
When I made this decision, I looked at the size difference, but I don’t remember the numbers. I only know that I decided to delete it (especially since it is not useful for me).

If you are interested in minimizing the database and backup, then look at this thread. This had a significant impact on my system.

1 Like

Thanks, Daniel

I found I’d actually kept my history since the very first day I started using Roon. So on the one hand it kind of has ‘sentimental’ value! On the other, a trimmed database might be quite a good thing.

History is used for Roon Radio and Roon daily playlists?

I had thought some aggregated stats were kept on the server side. Assumed Valance was all server side…

He said suggestions, not radio. I sure hope that stuff like „Releases for you“ are related to my history

1 Like

I listen almost exclusively to a bookmarked randomized selection of tracks that have never been played. When I started this I had about 3K albums so the playlist lasted about six months. Then I could go to History, select all and edit the playcounts back to zero. Then all those tracks were back in my randomized bookmarked set ready to be played again. Now with the addition of Qobuz I add several albums a week and I’m probably not going to make it through my unplayed bookmark again in my lifetime. However, at some point I’ll want to add those old favorite albums back in the mix so I can just go to History and edit those playcounts back to zero.

2 Likes

Can’t say for sure, and I’d rather not speculate. I can say for sure that History affects your Daily Mix artist selection.

1 Like

Unfortunately too much so.

I do like Pink Floyd a lot, and I reguraly listen to complete albums of them.
If I have one Daily Playlist without a track of DSOTM it’s my lucky day.

I really have the feeling that in the first period of Daily Playlists, there were far more ‘alike’ (but unknown to me) artists.
But to be honest, Due to all synchronization issues I have experienced between Roon & Qobuz, I have cleared my Library of all Qobuz albums.
And as a consequence my Histoy list was cleaned at the same time.
If I really like an album/new artist, I buy the album.
But still my library is about 50% of what is has been.

As a result of this thread I took a look at my history. Beyond 3 days ago it is just full of this, so something somewhere is broken. Somewhat concerning if this is used to drive some part of Roon. Last update was 3 days ago!

That only happens for me if I scroll took fast and it takes a se and for the data to populate

This did occur to me but after waiting, nothing happened. If the data is local it shouldn’t take any time at all.

FWIW, I also saw this when I moved from Tidal to Qobuz and cleaned up the database. For this and some other reasons I went back to a backup and left it ‘unclean’.

Well, thats a creative use! Thanks for elaborating!