What macOS revs work with Roon Core?

Roon Core Machine

macOS Big Sur 11.6.1, Mac Mini late 2014, 2.6 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Latest Verizon router. Mini running Core is connected via Ethernet

Connected Audio Devices

End points are
(1) Naim Uniti Atom (currently via WiFi, later will be Ethernet) - or
(2) Multiple (Atom, Sonos, Bose) via Airplay

Number of Tracks in Library

29,000 tracks

Description of Issue

No issues currently. But I’m considering upgrading the Core OS to macOS Monterey and have seen postings here reporting various problems on Monterey (most posts from Fall 2021). What problems with Monterey are acknowledged by Roon Labs? Do you recommend I upgrade to Monterey?

My advice: If it ain’t broke don’t fix it. There have been issues reported with Monterey and until these are entirely resolved it may be wise to to leave a working system alone.

1 Like

BigSur to Monterey had more benefits for silicon macs than it did for intel macs. I have to agree with @BCBC , if it ain’t broke don’t fix it. Stay where you are.
With every new mac upgrade and security update they seem to lock more and more of the OS and break more apps in the process. Then you have to start updating all your other apps cause apples update broke them.

Thanks, BCBC and rfk. I will stay with my current configuration and macOS rev, and I agree with your general advice. I use a cloud backup package (CrashPlan) for my Mac Mini music server and just got a notification from them that they’ll be dropping support for a macOS rev that’s older than Monterey. My configuration is still supported, so my question is just in the “idle curiosity” category at this point.

Is the Mac mini’s only purpose to be a roon core?

You could always install Ubuntu on it and run roon server. :wink:

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.