What makes a great DRUMMER? Examples of outstanding artists and recordings

Whether you like RIngo or not, he’s certainly an influential drummer. Along with Collins and his gated reverb sound of the 80’s, Stewart Copeland and Neil Peart, they’ve all be imitated.

5 Likes

WOW!! what a great drummer!

2 Likes

A great drummer, in a live sense, is one who plays to acoustic of the room.
We have had drummers, and I won’t name names, who just overpower our small venue consequently spoiling the show as volumes have to be too loud.
A perfect example of great drumming recently was Steve Brookes (Danny and the Champions of the World) who played for us with both Hannah Rose Platt and Don Gallardo, keeping everything in check which allowed us to hear and appreciate all the music.

Tom Collison, Jack Randall, Hannah Rose Platt, Steve Brookes.

2 Likes

You’re right, Chris.

Drummers are like children. They should be seen, but not heard. :joy:

(Just joking — with regard to both drummers AND children!)

5 Likes

Naaa, your spot on…lol :joy:

1 Like

Jay Postones from Tesseract

1 Like

Alan Dawson, first trading fours with Sonny and then a perfect drum solo. What a drummer!

Alan Dawson solo

1 Like

Charly Antolinis Knock Out (originally released in 1979 ) needs a mention in an audio(phile) discussion group and since I haven’t seen it yet … :wink:

I think it’s the only disc I own which does really focus on drums (not counting some Steve Reich stuff) – for me, a good drummer usually just fits in :sunglasses: – but this one is definitely worth listening to (and, so they say, it appreciates good speakers…):

RoonShareImage-636583063374484820

2 Likes

100% on Quadrophenia - I think it was Moon at his best

Bonham - Levee Breaks (LZ IV), Kashmir (Physical Grafitti), all of LZ 1

Check out Stéphane Galland’s drumming in this YouTube video.

It’s also worth listening to Galland on “Now”, my favourite album by Aka Moon. Great stuff!!!

NOW

5 Likes

4 Likes

You may just listen to this… for Bill Stewart and again Bill Carrothers !
Bill Stewart just plays music with notes.

RoonShareImage-637256768984923269

1 Like

Nsfw siap

1 Like

:joy: Do you think he was angry? :joy:

2 Likes

Danny Carey. unbelievable.

3 Likes

Came in here to say Danny. That man is one of the most musical drummers I have ever heard - far more than keeping a beat.

1 Like

Karen Carpenter was a very under-rated drummer. She was voted by many in the industry as being better than John Bonham (which Plant teased him about). Plus she had an amazing voice too.

Check out some of her stuff on YouTube - especially some of her demo solo work. Amazing.

1 Like

Steve Gadd!

1 Like

Aja? A pop record? Nooooo!!