What makes a great JAZZ PIANIST? Examples of outstanding artists and recordings

Album entitled simply “Ray Bryant Trio” is one of his best …the playing is soul comforting.RoonShareImage-636613726269253630

3 Likes

His first solo album…considered a classic.RoonShareImage-636613728132200600

3 Likes

Hi @John_V,

that’s the second time today that you “complained” about the fact that an album I recommended isn’t available on Tidal (in your country). Although I can understand your frustration, I think it would make more sense to post such complaints in one of the Tidal-related threads.

May I ask what you think of Danny Grissett as a jazz pianist? How did you like the other two albums I recommended (“Encounters” and “Promise”)?

4 Likes

Sorry, this has been a down day with Roon and TIDAL; didn’t mean to take it out on you.

I like Grissett’s style. He walks the line nicely between classic piano trio jazz (which, as jazz goes, is quite predictable) and the more progressive stuff that makes me work too much. :slight_smile: When I’m experimenting, I usually flit about, but I found myself listening to most of the Promise album. It fell easily but interestingly on my ears. Good stuff.

So yeah, I was a bit miffed about the Stride album, since that’s a favorite style of mine. May have to break down and buy an album or two. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Grissett is great. I especially like “Encounters”. Very original/creative - both harmonically and melodically.

3 Likes

Check out SULLIVAN FORTNER!!!

Genres

Aria Moments%20Preserved

8 Likes

Sir, yes sir! :slight_smile:

1 Like

9 Likes

Hi Will!
Great recommendation, thanks a lot.

1 Like

Fantastic.

Great stuff.

1 Like

Just discovering Grissett, excellent.

1 Like

Didn’t know Perdomo, followed links, Drew Gress from the Sylvie Courvosier album mentioned above.

3 Likes

Thanks, found on Bandcamp, downloading now :slight_smile:

Went to a gig led by Chano Domínguez a couple of weeks ago. He does something unique weaving flamenco, blues, stride, Latin) together, the closest simile I can think of (although very different in mood and style, and without flamenco) is Gonzalo Rubalcaba. Technically very strong, constantly surprising subtle rhythm and key shifts. Found these on Bandcamp, highly recommended:

4 Likes

Tidal has Chano and Colia.
Very cool.
I always like the setting, piano and bass duo.

Other excellent piano/bass duos:

Kenny Barron/Dave Holland: The Art of Conversation (heard them live last year :slight_smile: )
Keith Jarrett/Charlie Haden: Last Dance (Haden knew his health was failing, a kind of musical testament done with a close friend)
John Taylor/Charlie Haden: Nightfall
Gonzalo Rubalcaba/Charlie Haden: Tokyo Adagio (live)
Kenny Barron/Charlie Haden: Night and the City

4 Likes

All among my favorites :grinning:

RoonShareImage-636647465752506770

1 Like

Thank you so much, this is very good! Having heard Jack DeJohnette live many times, and Drew Gress a few, I can almost visualize their interactions with the pianist. DeJohnette has such a joyful, relaxed stage presence, even when he’s driving hard, the rhythms flow, rather than being pushed. The only other top drummer I know who has such a joyful stage presence is Brian Blade.