What, no Spyro Gyra?

Feeling in the mood for some easy listening, and I was shocked to discover that early Spyro Gyra isn’t available on Tidal (or Spotify for that matter).

Having retired my CDs to the upstairs cupboard, I am bereft.

No particular reason for posting this here - probably a label issue or something - but felt the need to tell someone!

For no reason other than more knowledge.
Qobuz has 16 of their albums and 8 compilations available.

I think the key word was Early.
None of these

1 Like

It looks like nothing pre 1988.
Good call.

1 Like

Indeed, but thanks for the info @MamaTried. Have been thinking of swapping to Qobuz.

Am now listening to Morning Dance via a YouTube stream (from my PC into an AudioQuest Black, in case you’re interested)… but terrible quality.

I retired my CDs to hard drive - problem solved.

3 Likes

Yes… that’s right. I should have been more organised! Most of the time you’re ok, but just occasionally something you want is missing.

I’m an old punk. A lot of that stuff isn’t available. Saying that a lot of my vinyl wasn’t available on CD either!

4 Likes

I started putting my records into discogs. I was shocked to find my punk vinyl is worth the most of my albums. Black Flag, Husker Du, Circle Jerks.
I was surprised.

1 Like

Yes the independent ones, unusual and unlikely to survive parties are often sought after. Crass, chaotic discord etc can be worth a bit.
I think punk became popular for ‘mid life crisis’ for some to think they had a rebellion.

2 Likes

Hmmm, all of Spyro output USED to be on Qobuz, looks like quite a few items that used to be on there have been removed lately.

I still have them in my Qobuz library but now when I look every track on the early ones says unavailable in red.

Good job I have them all on vinyl :innocent:

Morning Dance and Carnaval are still my favorite albums from them.

3 Likes

That’s the point I keep making about streaming. The rental may not be there in the morning.

3 Likes

You will not find me disagreeing with you on this score!
I still use streaming to evaluate an album and if I really like it then I will go buy it on physical media if possible even if it means a CD :frowning::grin:

2 Likes

Yes I will even slum it with an iTunes download so at least I own it rather than rent. I know everyone else can tell the difference in digital but in my opinion nowt else beats vinyl so I’m not that ar5ed.

1 Like

Weird. Apple and amazon seem to have them all.

1 Like

Makes you wonder…
If I was a conspiracy theorist I might posit that the big A,s are buying up rights to put the squeeze on the “little guys”

:joy::rofl:

2 Likes

For now…….

1 Like

Thanks for reminding me of Spiro gyra. A long lost friend that’s been reunited thanks to you. I don’t use Tidal(never again) but Qobuz has a lot of content by Spyro Gyra. I use to use Tidal but can’t handle the not so subtle sway towards hip hop. And don’t get me started on MQA. Qobuz is superior for my needs.

1 Like

It is the same for Gino Vannelli, some of his 90’s great album are not available in streaming everywhere. Probably the the owner of the masters is unknown or they did not give the rights for streamlining

1 Like

@Benet_Northcote - I recently played this album that sounded somewhat similar to Spyro Gyra!

I feel your pain, that was one of the reasons I puchased a vinyl rig :smiley:

3 Likes