What we are listening to [2019]

3 Likes

RoonShareImage-637049613345316451

It’s fascinating to see this lady continue to develop. The last song is just …

5 Likes

:no_mouth:

RoonShareImage-637049625567082240

1 Like

Very pretty, isn’t it?

1 Like

I like her voice, but to be honest I struggle to take her seriously as an artist. Her music generally comes across as vapid…probably be the lyrics.

1 Like

Great composition, impressive performance, excellent recording.

5 Likes

10 Likes

5 Likes

And who invented the James Bond chord?!! Listen closely.

5 Likes

This is a little crazy. For those who like powerful Jazz more on the free side. And electric bass.

1 Like

Tremendously musical album; my new LDR favourite and a strong candidate for my album of the year. Will need another second “lyrics” listen.

This would have sounded great in HiRes of any form. :frowning:

(TIDAL 16/44)

6 Likes

HiRes won’t help, it’s boring :smiley:

2 Likes

Perseverance yields results – and sometimes produces things which just seem to get better and better…like Tonbruket (it means ‘sound factory’). The four Swedes have been making music together for 10 years now, and in their sixth album “Masters of Fog”, the band has done the musical equivalent of throwing a smoke grenade. Musical genres suddenly become indistinct and blurry. Tonbruket give themselves up to the imagination, to the senses, and to the intoxication of the moment. It really doesn’t fit into any category – except that it is deeply enjoyable.

4 Likes

The tunes are instantly recognizable: well-known standards such as “All The Things You Are”, “Over The Rainbow” or “Autumn Leaves”. And yet the listener always has the impression of hearing something completely new. On “Painting Music”, Danish pianist Carsten Dahl gives his own take on some of the great classics of the jazz repertoire in a way that is highly personal, resolutely individual and completely revelatory.

Born in 1967, Dahl has been one of the outstanding jazz pianists in Europe for many years. He came to instrument very late, however. He started on the drums as a nine-year-old, by the age of 12 he was already well advanced towards becoming a professional, and at 18 was admitted to Copenhagen’s renowned Rhythmic Music Conservatory, where his teachers included one of the greats, US drummer Ed Thigpen. And it was only during his time at RMC that he switched to piano – an instrument on which he had never had a single lesson before that time. So Dahl started his studies all over again, first with Jǿrgen Nielsen, then with his mentor Butch Lacy, whom Dahl still considers to have been his most important influence.

4 Likes

The South Korean ensemble juggles with different stylistic components of traditional Asian music, jazz, blues and rock elements as well as electronics. A powerful mixture, in which improvisation and traditional forms merge. The sound of unfamiliar instruments fascinates. Traditional flutes, percussion and string instruments draw intense soundscapes. Again and again, an electric guitarist breaks through the archaic, epic pieces with a sound reminiscent of Terje Rypdal and Jeff Beck. “Karma” - this is modern global music without borders, but with strong roots: an exciting audio trip!

6 Likes

2 Likes

I agree, her best album to date and very well mixed/ mastered.

1 Like

Never been a big fan of Lana but I also like this album a lot. Moved it from streaming to download (bought it)
Dirk