What we are listening to [2019]

8 Likes

Neal Schon’s acoustic guitar riff in the opening stanzas of Whiter Shade of Pale is so cool

1 Like

3 Likes

5 Likes

Been listening to this @dabassgoesboomboom on my headphone rig. I want to like it but I’m finding the mix is making my ears bleed. I’m listening to it streamed from Tidal, I find everything is loud in the mix, bass is distorted as are other sounds. Maybe it’s meant to be this way?

Just wondering if you are hearing this as well.

Yes, I have added way too many albums to be able to listen to them all, especially since 1.6 Radio :grin: Definitely a first world issue.

1 Like

100% agree @oneofmany. I can’t imagine it will get nominated for best Engineered (non-classical) album at next year’s Grammys… :grin:

The same songs mixed differently maybe could cause less ear bleed. I have to assume it’s all as the artist intended I guess.

I more so love the melodies and song writing.

I was listening to Empire of The Sun last night and could make identical comments. Oasis too. I could go on forever ha.

3 Likes

Yeah very true. Sounds OK in the car but not good at at on a decent system. Shame.

I guess it’s the old “loudness” issue.

1 Like

Shame indeed and it doesn’t have to be that way, even with modern popular stuff.

Check out 'This Town’ by Niall Horan - the Tiesto remix specifically.

I mastered a track call ‘This Town’ for a Niall Horan remixed by Tiesto. This was a good test as I had accurate technical details of the lossless master file. I mastered ‘This Town’ to -0.5dBTP and -10.5 LUFS. Once Apple transcoded the master it was -0.4dBTP and still -10.5 LUFS.

When Soundcheck is enabled, Apple Music streams this track at -2dBTP and -12.50 LUFS. A much less drastic change than ‘Rockstar’, but still a bit of room for improved dynamics. At the time I was just happy to get this (very dynamic for electronic music) master past the decision makers involved.
_So my master of ‘This Town’ plays back a whole decibel louder on Apple Music than ‘Rockstar’. It’s also got a much broader dynamic range and doesn’t distort. Winner!

Background by the Engineer here:

https://www.masteringthemix.com/blogs/learn/producing-music-for-apple-music

1 Like

6 Likes

RoonShareImage-636872477375694012

4 Likes

Very nice … thanks for sharing.

Tim

1 Like

7 Likes

RoonShareImage-636872872752913700

3 Likes

Yes, that’s my own pic. I always add my own pictures if I’m not happy with the ones provided in Roon.

3 Likes

1 Like