What we are listening to [2020]

2 Likes

I love country music
Now known as Americana

1 Like

Country is now known as Americana or you now call country Americana?

I have a slightly different take on Americana where country still exists. And due to the way I classify those genres, I’m way more an Americana fan than country, although I do like some country.

So, I’d call Townes Van Zandt Americana or The Handsome Family as examples, but the Carter Family country!

Cheers!

2 Likes

Another “get some work done” playlist…

5 Likes

Perhaps my album of the year so far @tretneo …I posted it about 2 (or so) weeks ago. I don’t recall it getting more than one or 2 likes, so happy to see another who enjoys this album. I just think it’s sublime with Phil’s voice at its most delicate best.

1 Like

Me too,such a cool album then and now.

1 Like

5 Likes

1 Like

Americana is such a wide genre that can incorporate some modern Folk, Blues, Country, New Country and so much more.
I find genres unhelpful in the way they pigeon hole music to people’s prior expectations.

People ask what sort of music we host at The Little Rabbit Barn? And the official answer is Americana I suppose, but I like to say great music from great performers.

So from Emily Barker and Callaghan to Babajack and Belle Roscoe with Deborah Bonham and Gráinne Duffy in between. Go figure. Genres are just not very helpful to me.

2 Likes

I’m really enjoying it too @Nostro. Perhaps availability is holding it back a bit? I couldn’t find the album on Qobuz after reading about it and had to find another source. I think I’ll give it another listen now, in fact. Cheers.

1 Like

I’m not sure how widespread this view is, but my opinion is that modern popular country turned into redneck rock. Garth Brooks was sort of the pathfinder and grandfather of that shift.

Americana describes country artists along a path that is more in line with country music before the shift driven by radio play instead of album sales.

But as @Chrislayeruk said, it’s a pretty broad label.

1 Like

From Wikipedia:

Americana, as defined by the Americana Music Association (AMA), is “contemporary music that incorporates elements of various mostly acoustic American roots music styles, including country, roots rock, folk, gospel and bluegrass resulting in a distinctive roots-oriented sound that lives in a world apart from the pure forms of the genres upon which it may draw. While acoustic instruments are often present and vital, Americana also often uses a full electric band.”

That clears that up then :wink:

2 Likes

3 Likes

Fully disagree with him, so irresistable though.

5 Likes

2 Likes

Pure nostalgia. At the very beginning of the New Wave of British Heavy Metal I got my hands on this great single.

6 Likes

Got this on double L.P. yellow vinyl, great album.

1 Like

2 Likes