What we are listening to [2021-01 to 2021-03]

Likely my last one for this eve, although I’m still listening. Gotta get to finishing off my cooking (for starters).

The Palace Brothers
Viva Last Blues (1995)

Again (as per above) - not alt-country. Seems I just tag anything Will Oldham alt-country. :laughing: Nor would I especially call this Americana. It’s just Will and his acoustic to countryish rock music, that I hear harks more toward early folk/rock of Tim Buckley, especially the first half of the album, even down to the gentle electric guitar runs/flourishes that I feel harkens to the sublime work of Lee Underwood (before Joe Falsia later came on board in the early 70’s)

Things are a little thicker and dirtier than on the more laid-back acoustic records this prolific artist has put out, but the rock approach adds worlds to the delivery and creates a powerful palette for the equally important lyrics. Oldham is a truly underrated American talent, and this is among his best work, so take the time to find it. (allmusic)

Palace Brothers

4 Likes

9 Likes

1 Like

2 Likes

Looking forward to the new BPB/Matt Sweeney album.

1 Like

3 Likes

4 Likes

Those video clips are fantastic , thanks cinematic

1 Like

5 Likes

10 Likes

Been listening to female Trumpeters for a while

3 Likes

6 Likes

Some very entertaining lyrics on this one.

There’s a typo in the album title (“Oboenwerke”).

2 Likes

This album from 1988 stands out for the great singing of Emma Kirkby and Evelyn Tubb; other than that, I am on a long journey across Monteverdi’s eight books of Madrigals, listening to several different recordings by Concerto Italiano, Claudio Cavina’s La Venexiana, Rooley’s The Consort of Musicke, etc. I also find it very worthwhile reading and trying to comprehend or translate the lyrics, while listening to these wonderful pieces. This is some of the greatest music ever written…

8 Likes

That’s a long, but fantastic, journey, indeed! Looking forward to your impressions of the different recordings. In my library I have mostly the Concerto Italiano versions, which are wonderful.

1 Like

Exact “Bien Vu”. Patrick

1 Like

On that journey through the books of Monteverdi’s Madrigals, can you identify the one that is supposed to represent the lovemaking of two people? It starts slowly, builds to a climax, and then finishes in a post-coital slumber…

I heard it years ago on an LP (with the accompanying booklet that made the allusion), but have long forgotten the Madrigal’s title…

1 Like