What we are listening to [2021-01 to 2021-03]

8 Likes

Iā€™ve added it via Qobuz and hopefully tonight on headphones. For no logical reason Iā€™ve kept to Argerich my Chopin pianist

1 Like

3 Likes

Donā€™t miss out on her other releases; every single one is great.

1 Like

Thank you, I will. You may like this history of Chopin and the piano on which he created the Preludes. I read it a year or so ago.

1 Like

First music of the day at 6:30pm. Such a good album.

2 Likes

Itā€™s lurking on Qobuz but the details are different:

3 Likes

To be clear I gave the like for admirable dedication. I havenā€™t heard White Denim so canā€™t comment. Will give them a listen.

Thank you. I searched Reger and of course came up with hundreds then Fischer-Dieskau and then something else before surrendering. Itā€™s a beautiful piece.

I hate Roon search with all of my black little heart, but refuse to let it stop me finding new music, which appears to be its purposeā€¦

1 Like

@killdozer Found itšŸ˜ If I used English rather than the German title it would have come up immediately.

1 Like

7 Likes

:smiley:

Here, hereā€¦

Cheers Mark. :musical_note:

That album looks amazing - Iā€™ve never seen it before @cinematic.

Looking forward to listening. :sunglasses: :musical_note: :smiley:

1 Like

John Frusciante
Curtains (2004)

Most know John in the mainstream, from that hugely commercially successful band RHCP. They seem to be a polarising band, you either love 'em or you donā€™t. It seems this attitude has increased as their career has progressed.

However, I donā€™t think many give Johnā€™s solo career, albeit with a strong body of work, all that much kudos. His music is varied ranging from rock, funk to electronica & much in between. Heā€™s also released an acid house album in 2015 under the pseudonym Trickfinger.

This album was entirely recorded & mixed in his house. It does give off that vibe, but given the lyrical content, it makes you want to curl up on a large pillow, rather than rock out or jive away, Sonically, it is mostly a fusion of acoustic - folk-rock.

As much as we love sharing & listening to music with others (loved ones, friends, at concerts etc), this album seems better suited to listening alone. Itā€™s as much about the spirit of performance here as it is the deeply personal lyrics.

Curtains is the sum of its parts. Nearly always inventive, the 11 tunes here collect to form one magnificent piece of art. (allmusic)

John

As ā€˜neatā€™ as allmusic summation is, it reflects little of what was written prior. Seems they had little more to say than mentioning a few of the artists joining John on the album. Itā€™s fairly clear to me they know little of the album, the purpose of recording on a 4 track & Johnā€™s desire to create an album from the heart only, without concern for the utmost polish and ā€˜perfectionā€™.

3 Likes

If you search Roon for ā€ž Reger Requiemā€œ You should get a hit. But maybe in your world area its not there.

I know that recording with Pregardien. Very nice voice, bur those chamber arrangements performed there are just not the ā€žreal thingā€œ for me. That one actually triggered me to go back to my all time favourite. :grinning:

NB: Just saw that @killdozer found itā€¦

1 Like

Regerā€™s complete organ works performed by Bernhard Buttmann (4 discs).
Highly recommended!

4 Likes

Theyā€™re a band that Iā€™d heard of through the music press but never listened to. Iā€™m a late convert to streaming (only been at it about 12 months) and theyā€™re one of the many bands/artists that Iā€™ve discovered.

Having said that, today will be a White Denim free day.

4 Likes

5 Likes