What We Are Listening To [2021-08]

7 Likes

On Tidal the release date is given as August 13th… If you haven’t done so, give their very idiosyncratic version of Vivaldi’s Four Seasons a listen… Either you’ll love it or you’ll hate it with a vengeance… Welcome back!

Agostino Steffani (1654–1728) was an Italian baroque composer, priest and diplomat at several German Courts. During his lifetime he enjoyed an excellent reputation as composer of vocal music, in particular operas. Today he is very little known, although we must mention Cecilia Bartoli’s merit in exposing him to a wider audience with her 2012 album Mission (Decca). In 2013 she followed-up with an album of Steffani’s Stabat Mater (Decca), and in the same year Diego Fasolis with I Barrochisti released an album with apparently instrumental music by Steffani, although the pieces are just orchestral excerpts from several of his operas.

During a long time the only music by Steffani that had escaped oblivion was his collection of Duetti da Camera, produced in 1702–1703, while Steffani was engaged at the Hannover Court. A selection of these beautiful duets for soprano and alto (countertenor) were masterfully executed and recorded in 1994 for the Glossa label. On this album, Rossana Bertini shines as a wonderful baroque soprano, and Claudio Cavina is a worthy partner. One year later he would go on to form the very well-known vocal ensemble La Venexiana.

7 Likes

19 Likes

5 Likes

10 Likes

What a great album.

10 Likes

9 Likes

Charlie Watts. Solid.

9 Likes

4 Likes

Would be listening to this new release on Roon, but having to listen on Qobuz. 5 days since release and Roon still hasn’t had the db sync. Not the end of the world (or even close!), but still frustrating.

This is the album I mentioned yesterday with orchestral pieces from operas by Agostino Steffani. Superb playing and great sound all around. From the music on this and some other released albums (Cecilia Bartoli’s ‘Mission’!) it is clear that Steffani ought to be more widely known and recognized. Note that he was older than Händel; he even met with the still very young Händel, and the kindness shown by Steffani to Händel was retributed later in life when Händel met him again in Rome, few months before Steffani’s death.

5 Likes

Apologies for replying to myself (it rather reminds me of speaking to my children!)

After listening to the new Cleo Sol album I went ahead and purchased it on Bandcamp. I can now feel all virtuous when I listen, although the reality is that I’m just impatient.

EDIT: It’s now available on Roon - thanks @joel. I now feel even more virtous and even more impatient, both at the same time!

4 Likes

Not posted this in a while and my most listened to album of last year and this year, even though I didn’t think I listened to it that much :grin:

10 Likes

I recently posted that Qobuz appears to have patched up some of their catalogue holes, at least here in the UK (lots of holes still remaining though). Enjoying listening to these two albums that weren’t previously available.

3 Likes

This album is single-handily got me into high end music! He now has a replacement

Album that’s a little different from the original!

Thanks for the memories JST!!!

13 Likes

Thanks Doc! I am a big Metheny fan! You can get the whole album on Qobuz in 24 bit today!

10 Likes

Qobuz does get some albums earlier than Tidal, even here is US

Metheny and SideEye are going to be at Monterey Jazz Festival next month and I will be seeing him there.

Also Rick Beato is a You Tube Guitarist, Music Teacher who had a long interview with Pat posted earlier this week. Sure you would enjoy it.

3 Likes

The DB sync with Qobuz for the late entries from last week’s new albums has finally happened and I now get to listen to this one on Roon.

1 Like