What We Are Listening To [2021-09]

Enjoying this tonight, like an old school who’s who of British prog rock players……

1 Like

This band has 3 rock violinist and sounds awesome!

3 Likes

CLIFFORD BROWN, a (perhaps THE) master of hard-bop trumpet, lost way too soon:

RoonShareImage-637672346192725060

8 Likes

This band is a shocking eye opener.
A Roon recommendation….
A stunning prog rock outfit from……Belgium….say what?
Seriously good stuff, funny name in Fish On Friday.

3 Likes

I’ve always been meaning to check this lot out - thanks for the nudge!

1 Like

3 Likes

Of Mozart’s most beautiful and masterful works, his K 563 ‘Divertimento’ for string trio is often overlooked. Although there are a few good recordings at hand, this work has been recorded far less often than his later string quartets. Frank Peter Zimmermann on violin led this 2010 recording, and both the playing by the three equal-footed artists as the sound quality are superb.

7 Likes

Thanks for this, great to read understand now she created this wonderful album. Obviously others also feel the same reading those comments after the article. Hard Drive manges to take me to a different place ever time I hear it.

5 Likes

Yes this album really creeps under your skin.

1 Like

10 Likes

8 Likes

Now listening to these Nat Birchall albums and liking them, thanks for the recommendation! I already knew Alice Coltrane but still have a lot to discover when it comes to spiritual jazz :smiley:

1 Like

The German Frank Peter Zimmermann to me is one of the best living violinists with non-baroque repertoire. He plays his instrument (‘Lady Inchiquin’ Stradivarius, ex Fritz Kreisler) with technical perfection and beautiful singing sound. With Mozart’s music he is at home, and on this album from 2015 he delivers one of the definitive Mozart violin concert performances. Hänssler’s sound is crisp but warm, transparent and altogether beautiful.

Volume 2 with the concertos 2+5 and Sinfonia Concertante was released one year later in 2016.

9 Likes

Hi @Grump

like to hear you like that :slight_smile:

Halsall and Birchall often played together
Here is a very good live record, download is for free (just mp3, but good sounding)

Matthew Halsall & Nat Birchall - Modal Gondwana

https://parisdjs.libsyn.com/matthew-halsall-and-nat-birchall-modal-gondwana

Download link is at the bottom of the site

5 Likes

Thanks again Tom! I’ve interrupted Mulatu Astatke to listen to this live show. :slight_smile:

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: The New Tidal Sound

Thanks for the suggestion - I will check out some of his recordings.

1 Like

You’re welcome, enjoy!

1 Like

I have an Oppo myself…bit older now it’s the 105…still has dust on the Power button since Roon came into my life!

1 Like