What We Are Listening To [2021-11]

5 Likes

3 Likes

https://i.imgur.com/xln57Uz.png

5 Likes

Looking for recordings of Leclair’s sonatas for violin and trio sonatas for two violins and continuo, one necessarily finds out about lesser-known French composers of Leclair’s time. By this way I became acquainted with the French violinist and composer Louis-Gabriel Guillemain (1705–1770).

The Swiss violinist Leila Schayegh in 2012 released a beautiful album with music by 'Leclair and his Rivals’ which includes music by Guillemain. The fabulous Italian violinist Johannes Pramsohler has released albums on his Audax label with Baroque violin sonatas and trio sonatas (sonatas for two violins), including beautiful pieces by Guillemain. Guillemain’s Op.18 with Amusements, Airs and 12 Caprices was recorded complete in 2002 by the Swiss violinist Gilles Colliard on the Spanish EMEC label. Regrettably, the two albums released with Colliard’s interpretation are recorded in an overly resonant church setting and the sound is not as good as it should be. Colliard recorded the twelve Caprices together on one album, and the rest on the second album. There we have yet another Baroque collection of Caprices for solo violin!!

On this release from 2012, the French violinist Stéphanie Paulet presents selections of several published books of music by Guillemain. I think this is a beautifully played and recorded album which serves well as introduction into the musical oeuvre of this Baroque court musician and composer.

5 Likes

1 Like

12 Likes

6 Likes

My fav is his recording of the Shostakovich Preludes & Fugues… But, of course, the Köln Concert is essential listening…

1 Like

6 Likes

11 Likes

https://i.imgur.com/rMiLJ3h.png

" Les Moore’s first and best album dates back to New Orleans, 1973. This low-budget recording hits all the right notes for aficionados of early private-press SSW music and is considered a minor classic of the “loner/downer” genres. Moore’s quavering voice calls to mind Mark Bolan and Devendra Banhart, and his guitar work is subtly virtuosic. Though best known for what Acid Archives calls the “scary jump into the abyss” of the radical cover of The Beatles’ “A Day In The Life,” it’s the original compositions by Moore and Andy and John Davis, full of the kind of raw emotion and sadness totally missing from music today, that make this worth checking out. “Now To Begin” may be the most moving anti-war song ever heard, and “Ooh-Pah-Do-Pah-Do” (included on Numero Group’s great Wayfaring Strangers: Lonesome Heroes comp) may be the most deceptively-titled track you’ll ever hear." ~Douglas McGowan, Yoga Records

Bandcamp

5 Likes

5 Likes

One of the rare jazz pianists if not the only one able to play beautifully the classical repertoire.

2 Likes

You forget Joe Zawinul.
He was a good friend to Friedrich Gulda. They played concerts together in Vienna.
I have been in one of them in the 1980s. It was the time when Gulda played Jazz.

4 Likes

3 Likes

1 Like

I discovered the French Canadian harpsichordist-organist Luc Beauséjour by his recordings with the fellow-Canadian violinist James Ehnes. But, of all his recordings, this one from 2011 is certainly the most compelling, powerful and impressive. Never before had I heard Bach played on a comparable instrument. To me the first-time listening experience of this album was utterly exciting. If you like Bach’s music, have a listen…

6 Likes

3 Likes

6 Likes

Funky jazz Fusion…

9 Likes