What We Are Listening To [2021-11]

This is a very good listen!

1 Like

3 Likes

2 Likes

The trio sonata was a very popular genre of baroque chamber music, originating in the 17th century. It usually consists of several movements, and is played by two melody instruments and a continuo group (harpsichord, theorbo, organ, viola da gamba, etc.).

I sometimes enjoy listening to well-played and -recorded trio sonatas, because it is quite relaxing to concentrate on the different instruments in the ensemble and it is mostly easy-going and entertaining music without larger pretensions. So today I chose Vivaldi’s contribution to the genre.

Vivaldi’s Op.1 is a collection of twelve trio sonatas, No.12 being his version of La Follia variations. There are many recordings available, some complete, others covering only a selection of the twelve pieces. In my library I have recordings by the Purcell Quartet, London Baroque, Trio Sonnerie, Ensemble Aurora with Enrico Gatti and L’Arte dell’Arco with Federico Guglielmo.

Of all these recordings I clearly prefer the two last-mentioned Italian ensembles, both for their playing and interpretation of the music and for the quality of the recorded sound. Ensemble Aurora gives us a rendering which is possibly closest to what Vivaldi had in mind, with two solo violins and a very sparse continuo group. L’Arte dell’Arco offers a more varied continuo group and a rhythmically more accentuated playing, quite nice to follow.

9 Likes

Well engineered recording. Well worth a listen.

6 Likes

And the music isn’t bad, either. :wink:

Oh! Did I forget to mention the music. Mr Lovano and friends are playing in front of me right now. I don’t know who invited them but I’m really glad they’re here.

2 Likes

2 Likes

10 Likes

Shades of Weather Report………Path Metheney…….

5 Likes

New Spiritualized album out 25th February 2022. Lead single released today. .

2 Likes

RoonShareImage-637714660354871741

6 Likes

4 Likes

Memorable Haydn performance from 1995, released in 1998 on Denon.

5 Likes

2 Likes

2 Likes

Rock your Baby and this… :heart_eyes: (plus one new Artist for me)

1 Like

What a gorgeous new release by the Scottish mezzo Karen Cargill on Linn!! Beautiful Belle Époque art song repertoire, opening with the most beautiful of all—Reynaldo Hahn’s À Chloris.

Marcel Proust would have been enchanted by this voice and Miss Cargill’s artful singing. If you can appreciate this genre of music, don’t miss out.

http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2021/Sep/Fleur-ame-CKD652.htm

7 Likes

Highly recommended!

7 Likes