What We Are Listening To [2021-12]

Certainly a recommendation from the community, will now accompany me 1.5 hours. Thanks for this

J.S. Bach: Brandenburg Concertos

Akademie für Alte Musik Berlin - Komponist: Johann Sebastian Bach

Erschienen bei harmonia mundi am 17. September 2021

Instrumentalmusik • 19 Tracks • 01h 27m 26s

Akademie für Alte Musik Berlin

The Akademie für Alte Musik, Berlin was perhaps the first period-instrument orchestra founded behind the Iron Curtain, and it remains a leader in the field today. The group has specialized in the music of Bach and other composers of the German Baroque but has also performed and recorded Italian and French music, both instrumental and operatic.
The Akademie für Alte Musik, Berlin (the Berlin Academy of Early Music) arose in 1982 in what was then East Berlin. Its members were young local players who had become interested in the burgeoning historical performance scene in the West and sought to emulate it by experimenting with old instruments. After a prolonged rehearsal period, they made their debut in 1984 at Berlin’s Schauspielhaus theater. Organized as a cooperative, they stood partially outside East Germany’s cumbersome state musical bureaucracy, and they soon found bookings beyond Berlin at such events as the Handel Festival in the city of Halle. After German reunification, the group’s fame became international, and their performances and recordings were marked by collaborations with such international stars as Dutch keyboardist Ton Koopman, soprano Cecilia Bartoli, and Belgian conductor René Jacobs. The group has appeared on tour at Carnegie Hall in New York, and the orchestra earned a Grammy award in 2002 when it backed Bartoli on an album of arias by Christoph Willibald Gluck. At home, the orchestra, often using the acronym AKAMUS, is a major part of Berlin’s cultural life, presenting some 100 concerts a year. The group varies in size but has a core membership of about 30 players.
Another by-product of German reunification was a rapid expansion in the orchestra’s recording career. AKAMUS recorded for Berlin Classics and Capriccio in the early 1990s and then was signed to the French label Harmonia Mundi, releasing a recording of Bach’s secular cantatas relating the story of Phoebus und Pan, with Jacobs as conductor, in 1996. That recording, like several others by the group, was made with Berlin’s RIAS Kammerchor. The orchestra has recorded more than 50 albums for Harmonia Mundi, including a set of Bach violin concertos with German violinist Isabelle Faust in 2019.

© James Manheim /TiVo

3 Likes

BRUIT ≤ - The Machine is burning and now everyone knows it could happen again

As a post-rock apologist, I unapologetically love this.

3 Likes

1 Like

Bach: Partitas for Violin

Midori Seiler - Komponist: Johann Sebastian Bach

Erschienen bei Berlin Classics am 28. Januar 2011

Geigensolo • 19 Tracks • 01h 19m 23s

1 I. Allemanda Various Interprets 07:02

Ein Vollblutmusiker, der seine musikalischen Wurzeln gut gepflegt hat und gerade für Freunde im Bereich Blues & Rock interessante Stücke gespielt hat. ER verdient diese Bezeichnung: Contemporary zydeco’s most popular performer

I picked out this beautiful composition by The Boss from my library

Lay Your Burden Down

Buckwheat Zydeco

Erschienen bei Alligator Records am 18. Juni 2009

R&B • 11 Tracks • 47m 01s

5 Back In Your Arms 04:29

2 Likes

My ISP broke my interwebs. They’ll arrive later to fix.
I’ve taken the downtime to deploy a proper switch and DNS. :slight_smile: Billy is gettin wierd now.
RoonShareImage-637750660616194615

5 Likes

8 Likes

If you search for Christian Kolonovits, you will find a lot.

Christian Kolonovits was born in 1952 in Rechnitz, Burgenland, the son of a Croatian father and a Hungarian mother. He received his first piano lessons at the age of 5. After elementary school in Rechnitz, he attended the Real-gymnasium in Vienna Strebersdorf, where he graduated in 1970. He studied piano, cello and composition at the Vienna Academy of Music. During his studies he worked as a studio musician, bar pianist and played in various bands. From 1971 he worked in the legendary Viennese scene, where he helped shape the genre of early Austropop. In the mid-70s he went to Germany, where he worked mainly in Frank Farian’s Hitfabrik (BoneyM., Eruption and many others). At the same time he founded the rock group Einstein and produced his first highly acclaimed solo album Life is just a carnival. After numerous stays abroad, he returned to Vienna in 1980 and became an important producer and co-designer of Austropop, producing all the well-known Austrian artists such as Wolfgang Ambros, Reinhard Fendrich, Ludwig Hirsch, Maria Bill, STS and many others.

International stars appreciate his qualities as an arranger, composer and music producer such as Placido Domingo, José Carreras, Luciano Pavarotti, Kiri Te Kanawa, Elina Garanca, Sarah Brightman, Helmut Lotti, Michael Bolton, Boney M., José Feliciano, Patricia Kaas and the Scorpions.

He created numerous compositions, among others for the Vienna Burgtheater, and conducted at the Vienna Raimundtheater and the Vienna Volksoper. Furthermore, he composed film and TV music for Peter Patzak, Xaver Schwarzenberg, Peter Hajek, Peter Weck, Philipp Stölzl and many others. In total, Christian Kolonovits produced 300 music projects and received 70 gold and platinum awards for them.

From the 90s on, Kolonovits shifted his musical focus to symphonic music productions. His great talent to combine rock, pop and classical elements into a harmonious whole made him a worldwide sought-after arranger and music producer. Numerous projects with symphony orchestras (Vienna Symphony Orchestra, Berlin Philharmonic, Moscow State Symphonic, Radio Symphony Orchestra, Budapest Philharmonic, Hollywood Bowle Orchestra, Bruckner Orchestra Linz, etc.) have resulted in international recognition. Among others, he wrote the arrangements for the legendary Christmas in Vienna concerts (Domingo/Carreras/Pavarotti) which enjoy worldwide popularity to this day. The crossover projects with the Vienna Symphony Orchestra (V.S.O.P.) and the Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra (Moments of Glory, Berliner Philharmoniker / Scorpions) are considered milestones of symphonic rock-classic productions.
In 1999 he founded Christian Kolonovits Ges.m.b.H. for activities in the in-house recording studio, the record label homebase-records, the Sotto Voce music publishing house and the distribution company homebase-distribution.

I found this in my Library

Work since 2000 (excerpts)

https://www.kolonovits.com/biographie/index.html

A Qobuz sample:

North Face (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)

Christian Kolonovits

Erschienen bei Milan Music am 1. Oktober 2008

Original Soundtrack • 15 Tracks • 48m 23s

3 Hinterstoisser quergang Christian Kolonovits 03:28

1 Like

Today Jane Birkin celebrates her 75th birthday. She had a small stroke and had to cancel all current concerts. Her moaning in the joint song “Je t’aime … moi non plus” with Serge Gainsbourg made her world famous in the late sixties.

1 Like

9 Likes

2 Likes

here with german lyric

1 Like

This is my ‘if you could only have one album to listen to for the rest of your life’ choice. I have listened to it hundreds of times, but am nowhere near hearing it all.
Possibly the best album I have ever heard (yet!).

2 Likes

Well. This is bonkers!
If you like Fun. (the band called Fun.) or maybe a bit of a Vampire Weekend/Paul Simon/proggy-pop mash up sounds fun give it a blast.
Roon radio threw this track out, I shall investigate further later on and report back.

3 Likes

I was browsing and came across a Led Zeppelin tribute album that is set to be released on February 25! I found out about Beth Hart by listening to Joe Bonamassa, they have a few albums together too! There is a single for Good Time Bad Times out now, I love her voice, it’s so unique!

5 Likes

Excellent band, I have all of their output on vinyl!!

2 Likes

Black coffee is highly recommended album by Hart and Bonamassa

2 Likes

3 Likes

Say That To Say This

Trombone Shorty

Erschienen bei Verve am 9. September 2013

Jazz • 10 Tracks • 35m 19s

1 Say That To Say This

9 Likes

Instrumentals JID009 (Instrumental)

Adrian Younge