What We Are Listening To [2022-08]

Indeed I do… Thanks for pointing the wailing ladies out…

1 Like

That’s good to hear (pun intended!) :blush:

11 Likes

Just don’t lead me astray… I am very much a man of the Baroque (which, please take note, is not the same as a baroque man…).

Understood!

You may enjoy this album (and cover art) too…

3 Likes

RoonShareImage-637950819636090510

I took my 16 year-old son to see Max Richter perform this in London a few months ago as part of the Great Father/Son Covid-Recovery Concert Series of 2022. Having grown up in an all-classical household, I know that “crossover” can be a dirty word to cognoscenti, but I’ve never seen such a diverse crowd at a classical concert. It was a good thing.

The show brought to mind my favorite book of 2020 (thanks, Adam Neely!)… Musicking by Christopher Small. For me, that book wiped away years of Big Classical Guilt with the revelation that the modern concert hall experience (with all its stolid elitism) wasn’t a convention until fairly recently, and that classical/romantic period performances were often bawdy social occasions featuring a blend of professional and amateur musicians rocking out.

If you love classical music but not so much the institution of Classical Music, check it out.

10 Likes

If you like the sparse modernist music of contemporary Baltic composers, don’t miss out on this fantastic new album by Gidon Kremer and his Kremerata Baltica… Apart from musical pieces that grab the listeners’ attention, the album boasts wonderful sound… This is a little gem for audiophiles.

8 Likes

9 Likes

:rofl: what I said was firmly tongue in cheek…

In fact I listened to a second album (the second album) by the three ladies:

Got some concerned looks from my neighbors…

3 Likes

Yes! And that applies even more so for late Renaissance and Baroque music… After all, the musical life of the ‘romantic’ period was also very much an affair of socialites at their bourgeois salons. And that’s why I enjoy very much when early music ensembles make this music ‘happen’ with whatever instruments they have at hand, to great joy and enjoyment of their listeners…

2 Likes

It’s good that your neighbours are so attentive! :blush:

In this little town in the Colombian nowhere, without doubt I am known as the German weirdo… In fact, you arrive here and ask someone at the Parque for the German or the gringo and they’ll lead you to my home. Music around here is generally an affair of dancing and getting drunk, and nobody in his right mind would ever listen to what sounds out of my window…

6 Likes

It sounds like a wonderful rural idyll…

In Colombia there’s a saying… Pueblo chiquito, infierno grande…

5 Likes

5 Likes

1 Like

Taking a short break from honewdews with Janis

2 Likes

1 Like

7 Likes

1 Like