What We Are Listening To [2022-09]

3 Likes

10 Likes

6 Likes

My favorite interpretation of Ravel’s piano works. Desert island disc.

RoonShareImage-637910025900284220

5 Likes

6 Likes

What an album.

12 Likes

…46 years ago tonight…

3 Likes

Yes! He was coached by Ravel himself, received ‘transmission’ from his guru… What I am not aware of is who stands next in the transmission line; who of the younger pianists was trained by Vlado Perlemuter?

2 Likes

Found a few Steve Rothery Band live releases on Bandcamp for a very reasonable price. If you need a reminder what a fantastic guitar player he really is, this is a pretty good example. Sound quality is excellent, band is tight, and whoever is singing the Fish era Marillion songs does a fantastic job. Great way to while away a lazy, sunny, Sunday afternoon.

2 Likes

New one from Khruangbin…

8 Likes

11 Likes

I was a little disappointed in this - all sounded a bit samey to me.

Neu!

Just a small selection of today’s Neu! listening fest. I find it revealing after a long absence.

Harmonia
*Deluxe (1975)
Harmonia

Michael Rother
Sounding a bit dated? :face_holding_back_tears:
Sussherz und Tiefenscharfe (1985)

Sussherz

Dreaming (2020)
An aptly titled, largely ethereal album, including some female vocals reminiscent of Julee Cruise. It is a bit of a gem! :grinning:
Michael Rother

Klaus Dinger
Some fine moments here, albeit lacking consistency.
Klaus Dinger & Japandorf (2013)

Dinger

2 Likes

Noveller
Arrow (2020)

Safe to describe this as mostly dark ambient.

The effects-heavy guitar constructions of Arrow are the most emotionally intense Noveller material from (Sarah) Lipstate yet, making it easily one of her most expressive and fully formed statements to date. (allmusic)

Noveller

2 Likes

Darker Ambience :thinking:

Rafael Anton Irisarri
A Fragile Geography (2015)

Rafael

2 Likes

8 Likes

Good question Andreas! I knew he was coached by Ravel and that’s plain to hear, but I too didn’t know who he trained. Looked it up and Wikipedia has a list of names unfamiliar to me. I only know Kathryn Stott and Melvyn Tan and am quite fond of the Kathryn’s playing. Her performance of Chopin’s Nocturnes is one of my favorites. She has also recorded Fauré’s complete piano music.

1 Like

RoonShareImage-637997887977193160

5 Likes

6 Likes