What We Are Listening To [2022-10]

Sunday morning concert

8 Likes

2 Likes

4 Likes

1 Like

6 Likes

Might not be as cool or clever as the rest of the 60’s acts but I still love The Monkees.

5 Likes

7 Likes

5 Likes

3 Likes

3 Likes

3 Likes

4 Likes

4 Likes

This new album by the admired Rachel Podger has left me—dare I to say it—thoroughly underwhelmed on a first listen. Both the programmed pieces and the playing didn’t give me the expected ‘wow’ effect. Must listen again at a later and quiet moment.

1 Like

Looks interesting, but unfortunately unavailable both on Tidal and Qobuz…

1 Like

I agree entirely. Her playing is undoubtedly accomplished (as usual), but it seems to be more of an intellectual, rather than emotional, performance.

I’ve also only listened to it once, so perhaps it will resonate more with me after multiple listens…

1 Like

So I gather. I bought the download from NativeDSD.

This new album by the well-established English period instrument ensemble Florilegium has left me surprised and delighted. Haydn’s symphonies 6–8 were the first orchestral works he composed after signing into Count Esterházy’s service in 1761. The court ensemble at that time was quite small, and so Florilegium interprets the three works with a small chamber orchestra of only 18 musicians: three first violins, three second violins, two violas, two cellos, double bass, two flutes, two oboes, bassoon and two horns.

The sound is utterly transparent, with heavy reliance on every musician’s solo performance quality, and more akin to chamber music than to what we have gotten used to by modern symphonic orchestras. I find I like this a lot.

7 Likes

I have several Florilegium albums in my library, so I’ll definitely add this to my ‘must audition’ list…