What's coming in Roon OS 2.0 (not Roon 2.0, but Roon OS 2.0)?

I would like to see touchscreen control.

Are you asking this, in order to be able to have a Roon GUI interface directly connected to the device?

Yes NTFS does that but exFAT, or any other FAT variant I know of, not (unless your tz is UTC). See also: exFAT file system specification.

From exFAT Timestamp Behavior Associated with Different Operating Systems:

But for the moment the summary result is that no tool will reliably display the exFAT timestamps associated with the various tested operating systems. The tools all failed to accurately display the date an action was performed in one way or another for at least one of the operating systems. Importantly this isn’t always a failure of the tool, as above the the differences in implementation of exFAT cause inconsistencies which no tool could account for.

The tools which failed the worst are those which asked the examiner to specify the source timezone, commonly these ignored the provided timezone data altogether and then adjusted all the decoded MSDOS timestamps at the whim of the user. This scenario is most challenging when an item of removable storage media has been written to by multiple different operating systems or multiple instances of the same OS but with different timezone settings configured.

1 Like

Temperature monitoring would be very useful - I just had my nuc fry itself and I suspect it was an overheat issue. I might have been able to head that off sooner if I had had a way to check what the average cpu temp had been recently.

1 Like

was it fanless or did you have a fan die?

My guess is a clogged fan that’s never been checked. Just like your clothes dryer you need unclog the filters. Just like your car must change oil filter etc etc…your house clean but computer never clean…???

Fanless :frowning: seemed to have been fine for two years, but I had been turning it off on occasion.

No it was in a fanless Akasa case. Looked like just under 1/3 of the cpu wasn’t making good contact with the heat sink connection point so I’m guessing that was likely the issue.

So yes, thermal indicator would be much appreciated!

2 Likes

Whover installed the board in the Fanless chassis setup needs a good talking to.

2 Likes

I’ve not read this entire thread, but I’m sure it’s been mentioned before that the list of supported Intel NUC Kits is in desperate need of updating. I frequently recommend ROCK builds to friends, but it’s increasingly difficult for them to find the necessary parts. I did a quick survey myself, and I could find no authorized Intel retailers with the officially supported part numbers in stock:

In this chart, by “Limited Supply”, I mean that I could only find parts available on grey market sites. These may also be available on the used market, but I would not trust that due to lack of reliable return policy, etc.

It makes me sad to see Roon OS and ROCK, apparently, dying a slow death for new users due to lack of renewed hardware support. I believe this all comes down to lack of UEFI boot, but perhaps there are other factors as well.

For me, none of the other proposed or suggested features of Roon OS 2.0 matter in the slightest if the hardware required to run it in a supported fashion is unavailable. I propose an immediate MVP release with support for (a reasonable subset of) the current line of Intel NUC Kits with few or no additional features.

Yes, MOCK is a workaround, but it’s not one that I am willing to recommend. Again, I would drop all features from the roadmap for now to get UEFI boot and 11th gen NUCs supported for the first release. Thanks.

19 Likes

I am also waiting for UEFI boot

9 Likes

FYI - Some NUC kits have faulty fans. I had this problem a couple of years ago and Intel sent me a free replacement fan.

1 Like

Multicore multithreading support. I have a mac mini quad core i7 with 16Gb running Catalina and only Roon Core. Would be great as my zones and DSP use increases. If UEFI support arrives, I can make this unit a ROCK. Though I also have a 12 core Xeon with 64GB of RAM gathering dust, that might make a good ROCK if a bit large :wink:

I tried an i7 2012 MacMini with ROCK (under Option Ctrl boot as you cant make the default) - and the LAN drivers are not supported so had to use it with an external USB-A ethernet adapter. Too much hassle so just went with RoonServer on MAcOS in the end.

Ive run on much easier setups with Intel Mobo and chipsets with ROCK and no issues typically over several brands from MSI ASUS AsusTEk and cpu’s from i5-6500 -7-7700 and i7-10700 to name a few

even on a few older 2nd gen i5 desktops from HP that all ran fine (granted smaller library limits) so there are many options out there that while unsupported should probably work at for the current ROCK version.

Only time will tell for the ROCK 2.0

Please use the latest Linux kernel 5.14, 5.15+ for improved native USB multichannel interface support. The ability to update kernels would also be nice.

1 Like

Just run Ubuntu. Works perfectly fine.

1 Like

Yeah - been running it on Linux - solid as a rock (pardon the pun).

It’s the thin server aspect of Roon OS and ROCK that appeals to me. I did install Linux on the 12-core Xeon but it seemed like the hardware was overkill for running only Roon Core. Core has been very stable on the Mac Mini i7/16GB with DSP processing speed running between 40 and 80 x. I have 8 zones so potential to tax a system when more than 4 zones in operation hence request for multithreading and thin server.

I would appreciate a process to move a roon library between different cores. This „tool" should guarantee a consistent database (files are the same in each core).

I am not sure if this is possible within the Roon 2.0 OS, but it would be a wonderful service.

Chiming in on this feature. Base case for me is being able to stream audio from laptop or phone through Roon so that I can leverage the DSP capabilities. Gives me a back-door method to play the various streaming services through Roon that are not directly integrated. Latency isn’t too much of a priority but should be short enough that it doesn’t seem broken when trying to play music.

I experimented with the inputs extension. That latency seems on the long side of feeling broken for me but it works. I’m not using inputs so much because I have some wifi endpoints on raspi devices and inputs just doesn’t work reliably on wifi. Not sure if the wifi support that isn’t making it above the cut line would alleviate those issues but that’s what’s limiting me today.

Aspirational case is bringing audio in from A/V streaming to leverage DSP from Roon for simple home theatre set up. Probably not possible to do without addressing some of the network stuff. I use HiFiBerry OS for that purpose with their Amp100 device and with their DSP board where I can set up selectable sound profiles for music or home theatre. Basically move the DSP functions to the end point with that solution.