What's coming in Roon OS 2.0 (not Roon 2.0, but Roon OS 2.0)?

Is the rest of your system so fragile that it can be affected by some non-digital noise coming from the NUC?

Our position is that you should move the NUC out of the room so you cant hear it, and everything else should be shielded appropriately.

In terms of digital signal, there is no magic and we are perfect here. Additionally, on ROCK, you can’t even configure it wrong.

If your system sounds different with a NUC vs a non-NUC, you have analog issues.

7 Likes

but some other devices accept multiple SSDs… :wink:

you probably trying (i guess on purpose) miss the point… NUC will always be the weakest point in (almost every) digital chain
with nuc you cant use separately lps for ethernet or usb card , with nuc you cant use better (shielded) sata cable for internal storage, with nuc you cant use intel optane memory etc…
// so, ok if the roon company want make OS for annything else then NUC, just say, sorry, we cant… NUC is good enough for 95% of customer, OK… bud NUC is not the best possible solution for computer based audio//

If you care about these things don’t use ROCK or RoonOS. Buy a PC with esoteric audiophile credentials instead. It’s already been stated that RoonOS is for NUC only.

3 Likes

See it as a possibility to grow beyond the physical hardware in a way that adds value and is as simple as plugging in a dongle for the end user!

Actually you can, just not with RoonOS. If you install Windows you can use Optane. I have no idea why you would want to, but you can. I’ve done it in my NUC8i3 for instance.

@jiri_simacek , I’m going to have to respectfully disagree. You are saying things that I truly believe is an incorrect understanding of how things work.

For example:

This statement is completely unaligned with everything I know about digital and analog audio, and electrical systems, and computers in general. One of us is completely wrong.

Here’s what I propose:

You keep thinking shielded internal sata cables matter (etc) and I’ll continue to not entertain what I believe to be a fundamental error in understanding what matters in making high quality audio.

I made it clear in my first post that non-NUC is not on the table. If you need non-NUC, you probably should stay away from ROCK, whether it be 1.x or 2.0.

8 Likes

I assume this is about the latest boogeyman in the realm of audiophilia, especially for digital audio, since “bits are bits because they are error corrected” is incontrovertible…

I say in digital audio anything behaving as per spec is the best possible solution - do not worry - save your money for recordings!

v

it is!

I was under the impression (from that page) that all it could do without one of these is tell the TV to turn on or off depending on the NUC’s S0-S5 sleep state, which wouldn’t be all that useful since that doesn’t capture Display-displaying vs. Display-not-displaying, or turn the NUC on or off depending on TV state, which is obviously unhelpful.

It would be great if it could do the feature I’m talking about without additional hardware!

IMHO, if there is a NUC in your digital chain, you’re doing it wrong.

NUC makes a fine Core or dedicated server. It is not an audio component and should not be treated like one.

4 Likes

For me important would be to add:

Exactly. There is really no need to have all the Roon Core functionality running, if one only uses Roon Bridge (as you say, especially for low power machines, and I count Celeron and Pentium NUCs as low power).

The nice thing about Roon ROCK vs. Roipeee, Dietpi etc. is that I get a message in my Roon client that there is an update and I can run the complete update process from there. In case of ROCK, the upgrade takes care of everything, not just Roon Bridge like in the other systems you mentioned. If I want to upgrade the dietpi stack, I need to SSH into dietpi which honestly is a hassle I don’t appreciate.
Roon ROCK really is self maintained. Kudos for that.

1 Like

I believe that it is still the case that multichannel audio via HDMI is still not possible with DietPI (and certainly not possible with Ropieee).

If this is so, then using ROCK/NUC simply as a Roon Bridge remains a valid use case?

1 Like

I appreciate the simplicity and elegance of RoonOS on NUC, I would like to see that continue. In my mind my Rock/NUC core is battling my toaster for the least sexiest appliance in my house, and would like to keep it that way.

For those with more advanced requirements or desires there are other very good options to run Roon Core which allow significant customization. I came from that world, and left it for Rock/NUC for a reason.

With that said, I would like to see a password protecting the exposed shares from Roon OS.

I would also like to see some Key Performance Indicators on the dashboard which would be useful for those troubleshooting issues in their environment without having to go to Roon support

5 Likes

Totally.

Agreed, and the web admin page too. It needs a bit more protection than “are you sure” for re-formatting the Internal Music Storage or resetting the Roon Database & Settings.

2 Likes

I think you’re mixing Roon Core, Bridge etc. with the OS. The Roon client will update/ notify Roon Core running on Roon OS or Roon Bridge running on, for example Ropieee, if set to update automatically.

Yeah sorry, I never noticed ventoy can directly boot .img files. Image still doesn’t boot properly on UEFI systems but that’s a separate issue.

yah, UEFI is on the list… its in progress already.

7 Likes

@danny, I echo the call for the ability to host extensions (though personally I use @Jan_Koudijs indispensable Alarm Clock directly in RoPieee).

I would love to expose basic diagnostic information (temperature especially, but also some network usage stats). I use RRDtool (RRDtool - About RRDtool) for my RoPieee devices, but that doesn’t produce the prettiest graphs. It would be very cool to integrate basic ROCK stats with information about what is playing (bit rate, how many zones, how many different streams) in one view (with a few different timescales available).

Thank you for releasing ROCK; I love it.

My take as a very happy ROCK user and a guy that’s been in IT forever (I’m actually in InfoSec) -->. I like the appliance feel of ROCK running on my i7 NUC. I love the fact that it works 99.99% of the time.

I work IT all day, and I love a computer that needs about the same amount of maintenance as.my toaster.

In other words, I love the status quo. Of course I’ll appreciate new ideas, but don’t hurt the performance or the high availability of my ROCK. Please. :slight_smile:

23 Likes