Whats Rocking You This Month? [2022-02]

This one always goes by way too fast. Good pop hooks and great fuzzy guitars.

The last one in my queue of a mixed bag of all sorts of songs. If room radio doesn’t grab me I’m off to bed. Good night all.

3 Likes

It’s actually one of my favorite Tull albums. :grinning:

1 Like

One of the great 70s prog bands.

4 Likes

And this one ends on a 24 minute opus!

2 Likes

Ha! A rocking good time. Two favorite bands in one shot. Thanks Roon radio

7 Likes

I don’t use Radio very often but yes it can spit out some great suggestions nowadays.

What I do use a lot is the Roon Daily Mix based on my playing history.

This usually reveals at least one or two new to me artists in the on average 25 track playlist.

2 Likes

I liken it to having a personal DJ. Since no streaming on my end all Roon can play is “my” music. So much I have forgotten and rediscovered. I typically put on an album…this time around Pixie’s Doolittle and RR has been pretty good. It all really depends on the last track you selected. I’ve always been curious if the heart/like in Roon has any bearing on what RR selects. I guess not because if I’m liking all sorts of music and it is play what it deems similar to last seed it would not make much sense to let my Lee Morgan Jazz influence by Ramones seeding.

At any rate RR is doing just fine since the Pixies as far as I’m concerned. I know a lot of bashing it in the past. But hey I liked the Old Skool “Discover” they burred on the home screen a while back.

I’m pretty happy with these results for a Friday trying not to work too hard…well Oingo Bonigo only made it 90% as you can see.

3 Likes

Might be time to give it another go even if it’s just so I don’t have to queue something immediately mid cooking or cleaning…

3 Likes

if i had no streaming service then your usage would be an excellent method to “rediscover” what I already have…sounds a great way to do it.

1 Like

I just went looking for Daily Mix you mentioned thinking I was missing out…I am. Sadly not available for local library only users. I think that is short sighted. @danny mentions libraries not being large enough. I think I could run two or three different types of radio stations back in the day when FM was king with my stuff. I get the whole driving you to NEW music…but don’t see why we can’t have both. Old friends and new suggestions. Boom! put me on the roadmap team.

I know it is not a huge library by some standards, but I’m adding 10-20 ripped CDs a month. They are so cheap these days…and with Swap a CD and Music Boomerang they are almost free…yes I’ve got them spilling all over the place so storage is an issue. Point being I can’t listen to all my music nor do I know it all, yet. Veering off my original point that RR from time to time reacquaints me with long forgotten friends on shiny silver discs ripped then left cold and lonely in my basement. Maybe the heat form the NAS keeps them warm.

3 Likes

Thats a lot of tracks right there imho.

I just discovered a new resource fairly local to myself which has me increasing my cd count by the tens each week!

Jacksonville University Bookstore.
They sell off ex University rental cd, dvd, books etc at stupid cheap price, and if you become a member you get them at 50% of the already stupid cheap prices!

So CD work out at just 25cents each.
Be rude to NOT buy a bagfull on each visit!

And yes I do rip them right away and dump into my Roon library and then box them up and put them in the loft…

Some are NOT on any streaming service right now, well not the ones you can get through Roon.

3 Likes

But honey, you don’t want me to come off as being rude do you?

If you would have told me in the 90s that I’d have all that on a thing the size of a toaster in my basement I’d have a hard time believe it. We are so lucky to be born when we were. Imaging 100 years ago the typical daily struggle just to eek out an existence for the average Joe/Jane.

Side note Roon Radio just landed on Smith’s How Soon is Now. So over played back in the day I’d rarely pick it myself if I was browsing my library…but it just struck a cord in my Friday almost the weekend mind and I had to crank it. Not to Mention Punk Rock Girl by Dead Milkmen a few back. Pretty spot on with my Pixies seed, I feel.

3 Likes

More vinyl this rainy afternoon.

3 Likes

That sir counts as a large collection, so don’t let them tell you any different.

I’m looking to get there, only around 45k in my owned library at the moment, but going up fast :smile_cat:

1 Like

Possibly my favourite ever song, at least 2 day’s a week, and in top three every other day.

3 Likes

Prompted from yesterday I think. Made me realise I have only listened to greatest hits and I ought to explore more as I love what I heard.

7 Likes

I agree it is up there, never gets old. But hard to displace Lost in the Supermarket or Guns of Brixton by the Only Band that Matters…at least both on that side of the pond. If looking to expand your local library give Music Boomerang or Swap a CD a look if you are not keen to them yet.

Back on topic for Rockin’ or maybe it is just the name I like :beers:

Gotta love the sub-genre Noise Pop

7 Likes

Agreed…………

1 Like

Oooooh yes - great stuff.

1 Like

8 Likes