What's Rocking You Tonight [2022-07]

Best noise Pop album of the year so far, for me at least
(Doing some mid year reviews :grin:)

5 Likes

Another favorite from this year.

8 Likes

"*Guided by Voices released August by Cake in April 2017, the album that introduced the GbV lineup of Robert Pollard on vocals, Doug Gillard and Bobby Bare Jr. on guitars, Mark Shue on bass, and Kevin March on drums. Without changing much about the sonic fundamentals of the band, this edition of the group has produced a large and strikingly accomplished body of work that’s the finest in terms of consistent quality they’ve ever known. *

*Tremblers and Goggles by Rank, which arrived in early July 2022, was the thirteenth LP they delivered in a bit over five years, an accomplishment many bands take decades to achieve, and all those albums have been better than simply good. With a band this solid and prolific behind him, unquestioned leader Robert Pollard has the means to change things up if he pleases, and Tremblers and Goggles by Rank reflects his desire to move away from the compact pop tunes that dominated lo-fi triumphs like 1994’s Bee Thousand and 1995’s Alien Lanes in favor of more ambitious structures. *

*Pollard has never made a secret of his love of vintage prog-rock, and now that he had a band with the chops to pull it off, Tremblers and Goggles by Rank sees them embracing melodic shifts and rhythmic wanderlust in a way unthinkable in their earliest days. The mere fact that four of the ten songs run over four minutes long is telling, a length that would have seemed truly epic not that long ago for GbV. At the finale, “Who Wants to Go Hunting” clocks in at 6:18, marching through acoustic and electric sections, tempo changes, pianos and tympani, and guitars that sweetly chime and bitterly howl depending on the mood. *

In 2022, Guided by Voices not only can do all this, they can do it with skill and with the flair of a true showman. Further, for all the structural challenges of this material, the melodies are still pure Robert Pollard, and “Alex Bell,” an idiosyncratic tribute to the founders of Big Star (Alex Chilton and Chris Bell), reminds us he still loves pop even as he explores new sonic vistas. With their 40th anniversary on the horizon in 2025, is it possible Guided by Voices have become the best recording act of their day? Add Tremblers and Goggles by Rank to the dozen other LPs they released in the 60 months previous, and the argument doesn’t seem the least bit unreasonable."

~Mark Deming [AMG]

3 Likes

Back to 1985

11 Likes

8 Likes

5 Likes

Mr Postie brought me a nice big present today.
I was trawling through eBay listings last week and came across a job lot of 25 synth pop albums just about to end.
Without even looking exactly what there was I through a last second bid in and won the lot for silly money :money_mouth_face:.
They arrived today and all are as described… NM and most are actually UK pressings.

Should keep me going for a few days :wink:

Bronski Beat, Adam Ant, Midge Ure, The Art of Noise, Blancmange and quite a number I have never heard of.

3 Likes

I probably have most on vinyl and cassette. Sounds like a great purchase :+1:
Look forward to seeing them posted

1 Like

5 Likes

6 Likes

I will probably be posting most of them in “the other music thread” as not really rock.

And I would be disappointed if you didn’t have most of them somewhere in that TARDIS like attic of yours :grin:

2 Likes

That’s generally where mine from that era
So from that list I have on vinyl or cassette

Bronksi beat - the age of consent
Midge ure - the gift
Blancmange - monge tout
Adam and the Ants - kings of the wild frontier
Art of Noise - who is afraid of the art of Noise

Can’t wait for the postings, and it helping me remember what else I have :joy_cat:

2 Likes

Out of that little list my recent haul included 3 of them…lol.

Not giving anything away yet though :wink:

1 Like

Well was trying to tease out some more.
Patience is a virtue apparently :joy_cat:

1 Like

Ok…lol.
One going on now😎

Transitioning to wax!

4 Likes

Was browsing Bandcamp earlier and stumbled upon this group. Quite liked and immediately purchased.

3 Likes

7 Likes

Always a favourite

4 Likes

@Michael_Harris
Looks like we have the entire forum to ourselves this morning :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like