What's With The User Interface?

Have a look at post #57 Just as an example.

Nasty and insulting, as usual.

Thanks for proving this point -

1 Like

THAT is an insult.

I think you’re taking it out of context.

This is the context -

Yes, I have seen the very same thing. Feature requests open for 5 years. Not small fry but pretty substantial issues. Many not even being new features but rather fixing unfinished half-cooked “feature concepts”. Did I mention Profiles before?..

And I am around for only a few months as well.

That does not mean that us “newcomers” are incapable to read through older threads / feature requests in order to grasp the larger context and evaluate the responsiveness of the development team.

1 Like

[Moderated]
All I was asking for was something to substantiate the claims of how bad the Roon UI is, I noticed that you personally @bbrip put a modicum of effort in further up the thread but others come along and throw the proverbial sh!t hoping it will stick. More users might agree with what you are saying if you back it up with logic and facts.

It’s not the fact that people complain it how they present their complaints that irks me.

2 Likes

Go back to that qoute snippet at the beginning of your post and you have the answer

10 characters.

no need to worry

1 Like

I care about JRiver :cowboy_hat_face: , I use it daily still BUT I never use the MC UI for listening, why should I.

I listen (accent on listen) in my chair and invariably use a mobile app to control JRiver as a Server.(or Roon) . I use a mix of JRemote , MConnect or Cambridge Audio Stream Magic , the latter 2 giving me Tidal access as well as my local Library.

If I want to maintain my library, tagging etc then the comprehensive nature (if slightly old fashioned XLS look about it) of the JRiver UI allows a slick maintenance experience with an abundance of really first class tools.

At least JRiver allows a massive amount of customization of the look and feel of the UI and Remote Apps, with many other music apps (Roon included) you get what you are given.

Roon has enough good points to keep me interested I can’t decide between Roon & JRiver so I use both. I must off to listen my 60 disc set of the Beaux Arts Trio or my 114 disc set of Brendel , now which hyperlink gives me Beethoven?

Each to their own

NUFF SAID …

2 Likes

Assumptions and all that. I paid, exactly once. The UI is crap, there are many bugs that remain unaddressed and feature requests are by and large ignored by the business in favor of their own views as to what features are important. I would not even mind this so much if they at least made a serious effort to address bugs instead of ignoring them and pushing ahead with whatever takes their fancy next. There is not even willingness to engage on bugs, when the going gets tough they simply stop engaging on the matter. A clear example is changing user selected artwork. “Ya we know it happens, but it’s complex and only happens under this circumstance so we will never put effort into it, maybe one day.”. Users go back and say no, the circumstance you identified is not the only time this happens…FN crickets, just ignore the posts and hope they go away or give up. I reserve my right to pass judgement without having to justify it to you or to waste even more time repeating what so many have pointed out so many times in so many threads over so many years.

6 Likes

I use roon for playback and qobuz streaming. I still use Jriver for ripping, organizing and mobile sync, but not playback. Don’t even use it much for ripping or organizing any more since I started streaming with roon. If Jriver had streaming from qobuz or tidal or even Amazon that worked as seamlessly as roon i’d consider going back, awful ui and all, but that’s never going to happen according to JimH.

Sorry, I still find it idiotic that you would still pay the high cost for something you feel is crap.

Well, hopefully someone at Roon is listening and taking heed. If enough users feel the same way as you do and also complain obnoxiously then hopefully you will see some action. If not and Roon don’t listen to the majority of their users then long term they will eventually fail. I have concerns that they are going that way but I don’t see anything different from other software companies with whom I subscribe to. The fact that they even communicate on forums was an eye opener to me in the beginning, though we are seeing them less and less.

Of course you do. It is completely lazy and all too easy to jump on a bandwagon and shout obscenities when you don’t have to do it face to face. Internet armchair heroes and critics are everywhere.

6 Likes

Also as an aside, what business person, professional or otherwise would take an individual seriously if they didn’t justify themselves with factual information.

Do you want Roon to listen to you? Sounds to me like you are just here to bash them.

Anyway, I am not going to waste anymore of my time or your time.

1 Like

You are right I tried again recently as a part of one of JimH’s requests for features , I was shot down as ever

Streaming ala Tidal and Qobuz will never happen

That’s why I use MConnect instead of JRemote it has both integrated

There’s plenty factual information in feature requests and in support posts by many users. Repeating them is a waste of time. Roon claim to read all posts. If that’s the case they knowingly ignore bug posts they don’t want to deal with and feature / enhancement requests that don’t interest them. Spend some time more time reading and absorbing what goes on rather than getting upset because someone dares to criticize your precious because it’s become a half-baked mishmash of poorly thought through and implemented ideas.

Just like any company, really!? :thinking:

Would you ‘lobby’ Microsoft relentlessly for additional features in Windows, that they’re not interested in providing? Of course not.

Roon do the right thing in ignoring feature requests that don’t fit with their vision. Just like any other commercial enterprise.

Just what exactly is your beef with Roon?

2 Likes

Well in the end it should be about providing a great user experience. Using the app, browsing thorough albums, artists etc should be something users really enjoy.

Having a lifetime subscription for a few years I still very much hope that Roon is coming up with a relaunch auf UI/UX. A simple, clean look like like apps of Tidal, Spotify etc. is just what is the benchmark. The software should step in the background letting the content shine and making using it easy and fun.

And it’s not about what long time users for used to - it’s just like the person opening this thread and all new users having a “first impression / usage” of Roon and coming across problems - as well as an overall a bit outdated visual look.
I am in the interface design / UX industry for over 20 years - so it’s not about personal like / dislike rather than knowing what works as well as where Roon should hopefully be heading to.

2 Likes

Groundhog day. This is really more of a reflection of the norms of social media posting than it is any issue, one way or another, with Roon. I’m gonna get on a soapbox for a second and yes, rant. Maybe it’s just I threw my back out and the pain is substantial…I’ve been trapped on my back for days reading this damned thread, and (now that I can sit up and type) it’s my turn:

It’s that people feel very comfortable saying things on forums that they’d never say to a person, in person.

OPs feel comfortable calling something that others love to be “crap” when that is clearly not the case, even if you allow for different levels of subjective response to it. Then those, no more attuned to effective communication than the OPs, feel defensive, called out as though whatever some other poster thinks really affects their experience with Roon, reply in kind. The crap is what is posted by both sides, not in the software. Then it escalates, others pile on, and what do you have - instead of a productive discussion or debate on specific features, we have grown (mostly I assume) men posting kindergarten level junk on both sides. Seriously guys any objective, semi-mature reader just has to shake their heads at y’all (or us all).

Roon is not crap. Crap, aside from its literal definition, would be, in my mind, something that doesn’t work at all, cannot be used, clearly doesn’t come close to marketing promises made about it. Roon isn’t that…it is indeed a fairly brilliant combination of features.

But those features are wrapped in things that definitely need a lot of work. Add in the cost of the software that is a multiple of any competitor, and it creates expectations of having functions and features that are still not up to par. That’s not in the core stuff that Roon does - having Tidal and Qobuz content truly be a part of my collection, that is amazing…RAAT is so far superior to any other network audio protocol there isn’t any competition - but yes, I agree, the UI is inconsistent in spots and frustratingly time consuming to use. And there is a ton of untapped potential. If only Roon would let me lay out my own home page.

But it’s not crap. There’s no need to say that. But nor are people who post criticisms illiterate or intrusive on your precious use of Roon. If you all want to fight this way, fine, but for all the actual intellectual content in some of these posts, you might as well be arguing over whether to crack the egg on the big end or the little end.

This isn’t limited to the Roon forum. Indeed Audiogon’s forum is far worse…there isn’t even a pretension of civility or useful discussion at times…Computer Audiophile is overwhelmed by thought lemmings that won’t brook any disagreement. But jeez, we’re all not only adults, we’re mosly the older crowd. Maybe we can set a better example?

Maybe Roon is like a virtual country club (minus the prejudice). Maybe we’d speak to each other similarly to how we’d greet someone at the bar after a nice round of golf, no matter whether you won or lost that $250 bet at the 18th putting green?

EDIT: I hadn’t even realized while typing this that this is basically the same problem that is tearing our world apart right now politically. Healing has to start somewhere.

SECOND EDIT: I recognize the preachy nature of the above post. I just got sick of it. The Roon forum is like the pub I stop at for a quick drink and to see the regulars before heading home…and I’ve never enjoyed the bar fights. It doesn’t push anything forward.

6 Likes

Mods have deleted political posts in this thread as off-topic.

Political posts per se do not infringe the guidelines, but they should be confined to their own thread as they quickly take other threads off-topic. It may be nice to read posts by folks you agree with, but imagine if threads filled up with posts from the other side.

Roon has not adopted the “shift and close” policy I had foreshadowed in a now hidden post. Mods will continue to moderate inappropriate and off-topic political content as we have in the past.

3 Likes