What's your favorite Roon Remote device..and why?

Black Friday is coming! What are the best-performing tablets in your experience?

I like my remotes big: iPad Pro 12.9 or Macbook with a WXGA screen.

But most importantly, I like them fast:
Same again, as I find Fire HD 10 & older iPads are not snappy enough.

I use either a Chromebook which runs the Android app or one of the pixel phones at my disposal, 4a (which is SIM free and runs on WiFi only) or 6a running Android 13 or 14 respectively.

2 Likes

Thanks. I think I need a good mobile phone solution. A cheap Pixel seems like a good bet :eyes:

FWIW, I just bought a fire max 11 for ~100GBP and I’m enjoying seeing a cheap remote browsing efficiently, and showing holes in the power of my creaky old i5 NUC ROCK server. Much smaller form factor than the iPad Pro, but enjoyable and ‘portable’.

1 Like

iPad Pro 12". I like the real estate.

Have you tried attaching a DAC via the USB-C connector? Just wondering if it will work well as a Roon endpoint too.

1 Like

I have a Fire HD 11 Pro and it does work as Roon endpoint when connected to a DAC via the USB-C connector, however you may have to adjust the device volume settings.

I also have the Focal Bathys headphones which have a built-in USB DAC and they do NOT work with the Fire HD 11 Pro when used in USB DAC mode. The Bathys do work with the Fire HD 11 Pro when used via Bluetooth.

2 Likes

I use an iPad Air as an endpoint all the time, along with various other devices in the house. I usually use low-impedance, wired headphones running through a Dragonfly Cobalt DAC and USB-C adapter, and it sounds great that way. I also use the same iPad as a remote for a Bluesound Powernode/ELAC UB52 loudspeaker setup, which also sounds fantastic.

I use a 3rd Gen iPad Pro 11" as it seems the perfect size for Roon music menu. It controls my iMac Mini as if I’m running a CD player, I get instant response for playback. It really cannot get any easier…

I have read on this forum and others how difficult it supposedly is to use Roon for simple playback…I cannot understand this viewpoint.

I didnt know the Fire 11 offered this- exciting, is it full bypass / passthrough to any connected usb dac?

I use an iphone with ‘camera adaptor’ usb to a Mojo as a semi-mobile headphone solution. I hope a usb-c to usb-a adaptor achieves same from the Fire 11.

Just in time for Christmas, thanks! :christmas_tree: