When NOT listening to “classical”, Anyone listening to “METAL?

Ok you gave it a try. Well, it’s kinda like drinking for the first time. You may have to get sick a few times before you acclimate. :joy::joy:

Excellent album. I like the song “Elan” and “Our decades in the sun”.

a real pearl:

1 Like

1 Like

I would say the quintessential symphonic metal bands are Epica and nightwish. They are prime examples of the genre. If you are looking for an introduction, that’s where I would start. Closely related, and often overlapping, is female-fronted metal. Not a genre per se, but definitely has its own sound and commonalities. The female voice is often paired with a male growler (leaves eyes, Epica, semblant, Eleine, And MaYaN for example), giving a beauty and the beast theatric effect to some songs. Some of the growlers are full-on Cookie Monster, while other alternate between growls and clean vocals.

I have found this genre to be both diverse and consistent, with way more bands than I ever thought. Most are from Europe (usually Northern Europe), but there are examples from the us, Brazil, Canada, Russia as well.

2 Likes

I agree with Nightwish, I’ve been lucky enough to see 4 live concerts in my country and they are wonderful in atmosphere too.

Their new album is coming out in a few days!

1 Like

Unlike their other albums, this one is totally different… it gives me too much the idea of a Blade Runner style atmosphere

1 Like

I’m disappointed of this album. It misses the energy of previous ones. Well … I would even call it boring. I found myself skipping forward.

1 Like

RoonShareImage-637210969660208880

I like the piano intro of “Heart of Steel”. “The Sting of the Bumblebee” on the bass guitar is not bad neither.

1 Like

What I like about this different metal bands are there clean recordings. They are not producing for the masses, but even if they make loud and heavy music, most of the time it is very well made.

1 Like

Yes there are several producers and engineers in Europe that work for napalm and nuclear blast records that do excellent work.
It’s interesting that they can produce such a broad sound stage, without there actually being a sound stage. Just really good recording and mixing.

1 Like

I really enjoy the Metal ballads and mellow tunes. I love Lacuna Coils older albums. They decided to go a little darker and heavier with their latest album. Here is one of my favorite albums.

1 Like

Another favorite Symphonic/Death Metal is “The Gathering” with front woman Anneke van Giersbergen. The song “Eleanor” is a good tune.

1 Like

A pop metal and heavy rock I just discovered is very talented. They have an old school approach which I like. I particularly like their last two recent albums.

1 Like

POP/ROCK AHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHHAAHAHA

1 Like

This band!
I’ve seen them twice live, fantastic.

You won’t believe this, but I’ve seen them six times live…

and this is me!

3 Likes

These guys are my favourite metal band (although these days they’re more prog than metal):

This is a great place to start if you are not familiar with them:

4 Likes

Dunno… I quite like the Steve Miller cover. And there’s always Maria…

1 Like

Here is one that is more Goth rock and pop but it has a catchy tune. The song is “Boatman” with Ronan Harris.