When NOT listening to “classical”, Anyone listening to “METAL?

Bose QC25 plus Led Zeppelin III what kids ? :cowboy_hat_face:

Please feel free to contribute. There is no right or wrong as to which of the 100 different Sub genres of Metal you wish to display. I personally don’t have a huge list of Metal music so they will have a similar pattern just like my rock music which also has sub genres. There is a thresh hold of Metal that I can Stand and not go beyond and that would be when the is no musical enjoyment and all is left is throat growling and screaming. But that is just me. The lyrics is another factor in my choice if I can even understand what they are saying. If I don’t like what is being said I block the song. Most people have to start off dipping their toe into Metal and it usually is the softer sub genres like Goth or symphonic for example.

Thanks Michael…I really don’t have much metal. I can listen to it from time to time at home & all the time when I go to my barber. The boys who run the store are metal heads, they look the part as does their shop. They only play metal. Although, I’m sure you don’t want to hear about my barber store. :grin: (Even if they give out ‘free’ beer with a cut, which they do).

I have been known to listen to Trivium & Opeth (which I see up above). I think Pantera were pretty good. If I recall their first album wasn’t really metal, so post that album. I’ve always liked Danzig who I wouldn’t call metal, but used to get called proto-metal (whatever that means).

Bands such as Earth & Isis I used to like & probably still do, I’ve just not listened to them in years. They also are something other than metal (post-metal drone :rofl:) Sunn O the same deal.

I own in my collection some of those Japanese noise rock bands, like Merzbow. Again, not quite metal I think, just straddling that genre. Similarly, with what was once called grindcore I think. Justin Broadrick (Napalm Death, Godflesh, Jesu & more) & other bands on Hydra Head Records I have in my collection. Oh, I think Justin also produced some Pantera work, although he’s produced & collaborated all over the shop.

So, other than the very first mentioned bands, I think my taste sort of straddles strictly metal, perhaps there’s some sub-genres. I just have a folder I call ‘heavy’. And of course, all my Tool albums are there along with A Perfect Circle & Puscifer.

That’s about my ‘metal’ in a nutshell, off the top of my head. Hardly a genre I don’t dabble in…of course over the years some get played more than others, some I’ve grown out of, only to grow back in. Most importantly (to me), is I love to discover new music!

Cheers. :musical_note:

1 Like

Basically you are right.

On the other side, so much is called metal. It spreads really wide. Look at Trans Siberian Orchestra.

RoonShareImage-637214435476657590
It is related to Savatage and it is basically a christmas story. It is metal. Why? Don’t ask me.

I have quite a few metal albums I like one song,

Overkill for example, “From the underground and below”:

RoonShareImage-637214436693447200

The one song, Promises, I like a lot. Sounds great, also on the big system.

Sometimes I have the impression, people don’t really know what genre to use. It is not rock, it is not pop, so it is metal and one of the million subgenres that exist.

1 Like

Guys,

“little” disappointment for me… I listened to the last Nightwish and I really didn’t like it :frowning: what a pity, I waited years for a new record…

1 Like

Aesma Daeva! The definition of symphonic metal IMO. Wide dynamic swings, breathtaking sweep and score, and operatic lead vocals. Really stunning stuff. If you can find a copy of the limited edition “Ex Libris”, grab it.

RoonShareImage-637215031304843590

The early nightwish are good. The last one, … so what. With the new singer Floor Jansen it is better again. But after they kicked out Tarja Turunen. They were in nothing. I was in a concert with them I do not even know which was the singer’s name. But it was simply boring.

They had two bands to open. First one was Eklipse:

RoonShareImage-637215393971687870

The second one was Battle Beast:

RoonShareImage-637215394289161710

Both of them were more fun.

Nightwish was the entry into metal for me. 15 years ago. But today I do not listen to them anymore.

1 Like

pretty pussy

1 Like

when I was 14, I used to listen to him…
among us guitarists “of the yard” was considered a God

1 Like

I don’t know what to think of this… It both attracts me, and the opposite…

I absolutely love (specific pieces of) classical music. And the same for (the relatively sparse pieces of) brilliant metal. You could say that those are two of my biggest loves (remaining ones would be my family).

But the combination of both ? Brrr… It hardly ever has something to do with proper classical music. No delicacy, no clever harmony or timings, no real uniqueness in a musical sense (but surely in a productional sense). Pure bombast. Which is nice in itself, sure I enjoy it too, but has hardly anything to do with classical music.

Metal music with such properties does exist, but strangely enough does no longer sounds classical at all. A great example would be Cynic - Focus. Especially the last four tracks. Not an easy or enjoyable listen at all at first, especially when not a musician or not into metal. But once you get into it…boy, it’s a memory for life ;-).

By the way, I did see both Within Tempation (Sharon) and After Forever (Floor) back in - I guess - 1995 to 2000 or so a few times.

Virtually nobody knew them back then. Enjoyed thoroughly, and will never forget :slight_smile:. We are such a small country…which is nice in this case. Just so you understand I’m not anti classical-ish-metal

Problem with Yngwie: the ego.

Sometimes knowing things about the person behind the music ruins the music forever. I can never enjoy Wango Tango again.

This thread is fun, though. Metal has evolved a lot since the early years. I love a lot of the crossover stuff, though I don’t get the appeal of Nightwish and their ilk. It’s too polished for me. I feel like they’ve taken a good thing (the symphonic rock of the seventies) and tried to turn it into a format.
But that’s a question of taste.

Old school :

You can say the same thing about any artist and actors. There personal life should just remain just that.

Never mind. In the case of Ted Nugent, I have to agree with you.

2 Likes

absolutely to listen to three times in a row.

1 Like

Some of the Nightwish stuff is very good indeed IMHO

Quality female operatic lead vocals with Anthrax riffs driving it all along

1 Like

Another brilliant band: Krypteria.

RoonShareImage-637216327537344810

Unfortunately they stopped in 2012. 2016 they founded a new band And Then She Came.

Sunday morning is discovery day. So this old geezer discovered something he likes.