When running a roon remote with vpn, the system output is problematic

1. When connecting to a network such as a roon server through “WireGuard vpn” or “tailscale vpn”, system output appears in the audio selection list. However, when connected, “Too much failure” appears and music passes without sound.
    Without a vpn connection, the internal network does not have this problem.

2. The problem used to be that even if you connect with a vpn, the sound goes out well at “system output” or in a strange way (I ran the roon remote on my “tailscale vpn connected phone”, but the sound goes out through the speaker on my “laptops connected to the roon server through the internal network”). It seems that roon itself has a problem choosing the speaker.

Roon isn’t designed to work over a vpn its endpoint discovery is based on multicast which doesn’t properly traverse networks without a lot of network fiddling. It tends to work on a pc or Mac if you have it all connected on the local network first then move to VPN. But is hit and miss occasionally my phone works on tailscale as an endpoint but 99.9 % it won’t but control is all ok. Roon Bridge won’t work at all as it communicates on different ports to the remotes. You need to be able forward UDP multicast traffic across a wide range of ports as it’s random which ones Roon will use it’s never fixed.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.