Where are improvements to sound quality?

Then you must absolutely love when a reviewer in one of the high end audio magazines states during a review of a newly updated version of a given piece of equipment that according to their notes and memory from their review of the previous version of the equipment that they did 2 years ago…

Golden ears AND perfect aural memory!! So what’s that like one in 7.2 billion? Amazing!

3 Likes

I’ve generally been happy with the quality of DSP on Roon, but I agree that a subscription based system should continue to improve. Even if not everyone needs something, if there’s demand it ought to be added as a switchable feature.

I’d like the option to try out various upsampling algorithms, much as I’ve tried out the various filtering options. I settled on one, but I appreciated having the choice.

My parrot spots the car keys being moved and chirps “going shopping” , in my wife’s voice !!!

1 Like

They’re great — my parrot liked the frequency sweeps when I was measuring the room and chimed in, confusing the DSP.

2 Likes

So does the DSP now faithfully reproduce the sound inside of an aviary? :bird:

Mine mimics both mine and my wife’s voice

1 Like

Do you mean the parrot or the DSP? :confused:

Maybe Roon is the wrong tool for you . I believe Roon is for purists and DSP is abhorrent. Remember the graphic equalizer, ubiquitous in the 70’s, now only found at flea markets and ebay. Roon DSP has that if you need to boost a particular frequency .

But adding Jam does not improve the bread, and what we’re after is good bread. I want an unadulterated file sent to my DAC and my speakers to handle it best they can. I don’t want color or processing added at any point in the chain, not the amp, not the player.

1 Like

If that was true, Roon would not have a DSP function. People want different things.

1 Like

Your very very wrong. Roon is perfect for me and has been for 3 years. Considering high-end systems are now adding in DSP your thoughts are not representative of the modern hifi era. With Roon you can have your cake and eat it.

1 Like

Comparisons are quite difficult, since every change in software or hardware has effect on sound quality. Audirvana sounds different from roon, if better depends on the whole setting. In my case, it is a bit drier, but maybe more precise. Roon is hard to beat in user interface, therefore, I stay with it.

By the way, concerning DSP I am applying room correction from www.homeaudiofidelity.com. With may last three setups, I was always surprised who it improves the sound and won’t miss it. The difference is quite drastic, more special separation, less muddiness.

Best Ulrich

1 Like

What you meant to say “at any point in the PLAYBACK chain” since there are lots and lots of color and processing added during the recording part of the chain, even so called “purist” recordings.

1 Like

That is incorrect. In the proper use of A/B or other such experimental designs, the subject is not aware of the stimulus class being presented (here, A or B) and therefore reports perceptions “blind” to the testing condition. This eliminates bias. In a better design both the experimenter and the subject are blind to the testing condition. This eliminates unintended bias introduced by the experimenter that the subject subconsciously becomes aware of such as in the “Clever Hans” scenario. Given the highly subjective nature of some descriptions of SQ perceptions, blind (or double blind) testing is essential to yield scientifically meaningful results.

1 Like

Yes, that’s what i meant. I assume the recording artist and producer had a sound in mind and i want that without coloring on my side. My choice in equipment does undoubtedly factor into it but I don’t want to constantly tweak the tone. Every speaker, amp etc has it’s own sound of course and finding the sound that’s agreeable to you is the fun of the hobby.

1 Like

Roon is perfect for me too, i love it and use it daily, have for years. I don’t need to see bells and whistles added. I think dsp can help correct problems with a room’s sound, but it is best avoided if possible.

2 Likes

And, again, that depends on the person doing the listening.

DSP done correctly does not in itself in anyway lower the sound quality. Think about it: how incredible much DSP that is done on pretty much every recording out there, even most live ones. That’s not to say that DSP in Roon is perfect, from my experience the PEQ does lower the sound quality while the convolution does not.

And as long as DACs can’t properly reproduce the sine-wave from the 16/44 signal (which no DAC can due to how process intensive it is), then up-sampling can be used for most DACs to lower the distortion caused by interpolation errors and similar.

2 Likes

Speaking of which, I can’t help but wonder if something like what the new nVidia shield does for video could be adapted to audio…

That’s why you should not listen to music in a room…

6 Likes

In space, no one can hear your room modes.

2 Likes