Where are the HiRes 192/24 albums?

I have approx. 1100 albums in my Tidal Hifi Plus account and after the Roon upgrade yesterday I can see in Roon that I have 11 albums !! showed in HiRes FLAC 192/24 quality. Is this a representive figure for the Tidal catalogue in total, will this be better over time or do I need to change any settings?

Well, it depends on the music you listen to, but, the majority of music has not been released in greater than CD resolution. Then, you have to take into account license agreements, which may delay any rollout by Tidal. And, of course, not everything is available in all regions, so there is that to figure in.

Do you have an example of an album in your 1100 library, that you know is out in hi res that tidal doesn’t have? I dropped Tidal years ago, so, I can’t help check.

No, sorry, I don’t know any albums, but I thought there was a higher amount than 11/1100… I listen to all genres except classical and lives in Sweden… Dire Straits ”Money for nothing”, as an example, was released 1988, but has recently been remastered and released again and is now in 192/24. Is it ”how it works”?

Darko says why he’s not bothered with Hi Res Tidal - there’s not much of it for the extra money it costs (I think was the jist of it - watched the other day)

1 Like

I’m up to 460 high resolution Tidal. 174 are 24/192. MQA are down to 421 (not included in the 460).

Are you saying that your 24/192 albums in your existing album catalog are increasing from day to day without you do anything?

1 Like

Yes (10 char). But it’s not only 24/192, it’s 48, 88.2, 96, 176.4, and 192.

But older formats are replaced to newer, better ones, HiRes FLAC without you do anything?

1 Like

578 are higher than CD 16/44.1 and not MQA. It’s growing daily. That’s 578 of 1668 Tidal albums or 35 percent better than CD quality (YMMV).

EDIT: And yes, some of the MQA’s are mis-labeled in Roon. That will take a while to get corrected.

EDIT2: Up to 624 but I have added 34 albums. Half the added albums are Tidal and half are Qobuz.

I’m noticing albums will show up on Tidal at 44/16 FLAC but actually play as 24/96 in the signal path. I don’t think the metadata has updated yet. I’m seeing almost parity with Qobuz for what I listen to and in my situation Tidal is cheaper for me as I qualify for a discount.

1 Like

It is clearly taking some time (and probably a lot of effort) for Roon and Tidal to equilibrate after the recent changes imposed by Tidal and this week’s Roon update. The situation with how Tidal albums are tagged in Roon seems quite fluid, but I’m sure it will all work out. People just need to be patient.

1 Like

Probably taking some time as per this post:

That was what I was referring to.

1 Like

Time flies… Today my Tidal album catalogue consists of 22% HiRes Flac albums (24 bit, 44,1 and above). Maybe okey? But my catalogue also still consists of over 30% MQA albums. Shouldn’t Tidal end with MQA?

I would not want MQA to be deleted until they have the replacement flac files in place. I would not want to go from an MQA file that renders to 192 and replace that with a CD quality flac file. I paid $19.99 for Hifi Plus, not CD quality. Just relax. They will get this done when they are done.

That‘s what they said. But this fade out is a slow process.

Essentially all the Tidal albums that identify as MQA in my Roon library are those at CD quality - all of them that were unfolding to “hi-res” (let’s say 24bit for the sake of argument) have gone and, I assume, are replaced by 24bit FLAC versions at 96/192, etc. So Tidal appear to have gone most, if not all, of the way to meeting their pledge to replace “hi-res” MQA with hi-res FLAC, wherever possible. If/when those remaining 16/44 MQA albums are to be replaced by 16/44 non-MQA FLAC is anyone’s guess.