Where is Qobuz dynamic range metadata

This still seems AWOL after nearly 6 months of Qobuz in Roon. Why is it taling Qobuz this long to sort this out, Roon radio can be a nightmare with volume without it.

2 Likes

How do you know this is possible and/or coming to Roon? That would be cool.

I have thought it would be cool to have the histogram too (sent ahead in the metadata)

Tidal passes on loudness information. You can’t see it as a DNR figure in Roon, but the volume doesn’t jump about when going from track to track with volume levelling on and you can see different dB cuts being applied when you click the blue dot, so the info is there.

1 Like

Cool, i never knew that!

Everything I’m playing from Qobuz uses the default ‘no data’ gain reduction.
Does @support know whether Qobuz are making progress?

Andy

1 Like

Hi everyone,

Qobuz has let us know that they’re still working on getting this data for us. We don’t have any specific timeframes from them yet, but we’ll be sure to keep everyone updated.

Perhaps a strange idea, but wouldn’t it be possible to let the Roon core perform analysis on a track from Qobuz while playing? This data could be shared by all Roon users and added to the central database. This way the more popular music will be normalised correctly pretty soon, and the more exotic music the second time you play it :slight_smile: .

2 Likes

I recently asked this question again to Qobuz and the said that from a principle standpoint they do not change the files they receive from the labels / distributor. However, they forwarded my question to the dev team.

But again, couldn’t Roon build up this information in the Roon database as well, if Qobuz decides to stick to their principle?

Very unlikely as you can’t scan a file you dont have, you don’t have the whole file at anyone point in time when your streaming from a service. And I am sure they don’t provide anything in the APIs to allow this. Roons whole system relies on metadata from the provider.