Where is Roon? In the BluOS app

Just upgraded my bluesound product and app. Can’t find Roon anywhere in the app. How does it work?

I assume you’re not supposed to find Roon in Bluesound but Bluesound in Roon. Support should hopefully mean that Roon now sees it as an endpoint.

Can’t find bluesound in Roon.

And doesn’t Roon need a upgrade for me to find bluos in Roon?

In settings - audio, in the Roon app, you should see something like this

You will have to enable them (in the picture they are already enabled) and then they will be availabale as a roon endpoint.

.sjb

1 Like

As of 1.3 and 2.10.1 you should now see Bluesound devices, including pretty pictures in your Roon audio setup. You should also see Roon in the BluOS app as a source, but in my experience there is no need to select it… Roon will jump the que.

Once MQA is enabled in Roon (for Bluesound) then Roon can effectively take over as your everyday app/OS for bluesound devices, unless you are using a nonRoon music source like (Spotify?)

2 Likes

Thanks a lot. Got IT working.

Adam, what do you mean by this, enable mqa in roon for bluesound…where/how to do that ?

Adam, I read your note a second time. Why do you think that MQA needs to be enabled in/by Roon in order for your Bluesound device to decode it. Now that the Bluesound devices are Roon endpoints receiving bit perfect 48/24 signals, would’nt you expect the bluesound device to unfold this in the same way that other MQA decoders have been doing so for weeks under Roon 1.2. Yes, the Bluesound devices differ from say the Meridian explorer in that there are no lights on the box to tell us what is being output…but have you listened to it…sounds amazing, even better than the hires files on my HD. You are MQA enabled by virtue of the fact that you have an MQA decoding DAC.

Mark, at this point there is something occurring that is preventing BlueOS products from properly decoding MQA files sent via Roon. Evidence to this fact is:

1. I started using Roon to play some MQA files on my Node2, and noticed they didn’t sound as good as when I played them using the BlueOS app. So I did some direct comparison. An MQA file played by my Node2, controlled by the BlueOS app, will light up the MQA logo within the app and sound fantastic. If you take that same file, and now play it on the Node2 using Roon, it does not sound nearly as good (pretty dramatic difference actually). If you also jump over to the BluOS app during this playback, no MQA logo is being displayed.

2. More objective evidence can be found when you use NAD’s M32 integrated or M12 pre-amp equipped with BlueOS cards. Both of these units will display the sampling rate of whatever digital file they are playing. When you send an MQA file to either of these, using the BlueOS app, the sampling rate displayed on the unit shows that of the unfolded file (88.2, 96, 192, etc). But when using Roon to send this same file the display only shows the frequency rate of the unfolded signal (mostly 48k).

Thanks for the reply. My experience has not been the same. I have been using a hifiberry endpoint to feed a spdif signal to my node2 for a few weeks. The mqa files sound great when played this way or through the bluesound app. Now the node2 is a proper endpoint and yes when I peek at the roon playback in the bluesound app I don’t see the mqa logo, but incomplete metadata as well, no cover art, so I’m uncertain that is a proof point. What is Lenbrooke saying about all this? Has support at Roon confirmed that this is an issue and not fake news, lol.

1 Like