Where is the "heart" icon in my Roon playlists?

I’ve made several Roon playlists with songs from Qobuz and Tidal. There are no heart icons to favorite ANY of those songs, once they’re in a playlist.

Often, I’ll make a playlist of newly released music with the intention of “hearting” tracks I think are keepers. I can’t do that in Roon?

1 Like

You can only heart tracks and albums that are in your library.

1 Like

Thanks for the quick response. But first off, adding to the library takes two clicks minimum (not including the “heart” part), which is an unfriendly interface feature when I just want to favorite a song. Also, I just added a song to my library from a playlist to see what would happen. Still no heart to click for that song in the playlist!

I have to leave the playlist, actually favorite the whole album on the album page, and then I can see the hearts for the songs. That’s just too much navigating and clicking for merely liking a single song in my playlist.

Maybe I just like that song, and don’t want to favorite the album. Qobuz, Tidal, and every other streaming service allow this. So it’s muscle memory behavior that Roon doesn’t have.

5 Likes

This is the opposite of what you want to test. You have to add the song to your library first, and then, to a playlist. The playlist is frozen to the version that was added, so, after you added the track from the playlist to your library, the link in the playlist itself still points to the non-library track.

1 Like

That is the opposite of how it should work. Like it works in every other player or streaming service I can think of, a listener should be able to “heart” a track from anywhere, including a playlist, then Roon should add it to the library. A listener shouldn’t need to navigate out of a playlist to see which tracks are favorites.

For a service that prides itself in its recommendation engine, Roon takes too many clicks to tell the service what a listener likes/dislikes, and makes it impossible from a playlist. Throughout the interface, there should be a (this is the important part you’re missing in these posts) ONE-CLICK method to tell the service that you like or dislike a song. Roon can choose whatever system they wish to implement: heart/no heart/don’t play again; thumbs-up/thumbs-down, whatever. We know Roon has the capability, because it’s already there in Roon Radio.

For people resistant to change, Roon could make the feature optional.

8 Likes

Hi team, same issue that is more of a monty problem. So my take is that importing playlists is an input that is outside the Roon ‘into library then to playlists, favourite lists etc.’ process. Inflexible program design and I wonder how many customers they are struggling to retain and have imported their music into Roon by importing playlists. I reckon heaps!!
But are we lonely voices in the moors? How come this isn’t a ‘monty problem’
JB

2 Likes

So let me get this straight. The hailed Mr Roon has no one click tagging system to save the song and alert Mr Roon that I like it. No, I have to save the album to my library, go to the library, find the album, then the song so I can click the elusive love heart, in life and GUI’s.
Was that 5 clicks? That’s such terrible design where in demand functions are accessed with work arounds. 5 clips = a work around.

2 Likes

OMG, I made the same comment years ago during my first week with Roon. I couldn’t believe it. At least you were smart enough to remember the five-click procedure. I kept forgetting it and gave up.

You can also forget about ANY way to heart a song from Qobuz and have the heart show up in Qobuz. That doesn’t work at all.

2 Likes

OMG, I’m also back on this band wagon. So let me also get this straight. On the Tidal iPhone app you can go to any song and while it is playing, there is our beloved and MIA love heart. You don’t have to save the album, find the album, find the song to find the love heart. Lord have mercy.
So the Tidal iPhone app has this critical feature not the compute app. I’m amazed there isn’t a mass movement to get this feature added.
It’s almost like they want us the customers to store music in units of albums. I’m not interested in albums, on most of mine there is only a few tracks worth keeping anyway. My unit of storage and music is tracks. Maybe I have it wrong, a loose conspiracy theory at best.
Kia ora. J

3 Likes

I don’t understand the logic of this feature. Not saying it’s wrong … just that I don’t understand it. I mean, if an album or track is in my library, presumably I do like it. Otherwise it wouldn’t be there. I want to be able to attach a “heart” to something newly-discovered, for example while listening to Roon Radio.

Am I missing something obvious here? FWIW it does not bother me if I cannot attach a heart to tracks in my playlists, because again, if I put them there then it means that I do like them and can find them again more or less easily. I want to use a heart as a quick-and-dirty (but also persistent) way to indicate I like a song, without bothering yet to archive it in my library or a playlist. Clicking the “thumbs up” icon is about halfway there, because it is quick-and-dirty, but not (AFAIK) persistent (that is, retrievable at a later time).

3 Likes

You raise some good points Tom. The utility of a one click favourite (heart or thumbs up) system is to be able to collect songs you like easily so you can listen to them later as a playlist, or collection or whatever. This also easily alterts Roon to what I like. As you say listening to Roon Radio and collecting songs you like surely is the whole idea of exploring and collecting music.

I can’t add only tracks to my library, in the track window the ‘add to library’ option is greyed out. I am assuming that I have to add the album. Therefore to collate a collection of songs I like, I have to add the album to my library, go to my library to find that album, go to that album to find the track I like, and award it with a heart. Jeees that’s long winded! Spotify and Tidal (I have no experience of other apps) all enable a one click song collection function. This is, I would guess, used extensively.

If there is any other way to collect songs I like as I’m listening to them I’m keen to learn.

2 Likes

Trial user here I keep coming back to try roon hoping this issue is sorted - no luck then - I still can’t believe roon has such a convoluted route to liking content - a real disincentive to subscribing!

2 Likes

Is it so difficult to show heart icon and when hits then in background the app adds to library the song and likes it?

2 Likes

Just noticed this can be done on the ARC app as a workaround

1 Like