Where the best place for a frank discussion about Roon?

ok, i thought 225K was big. And are these ripped/downloaded files? or just Tidal/Qobuz favorites?

I just can’t get my head around how much time it would take to import that much music from physical media. (Not to mention to play it!)

That’s exactly what it means, since you have only 1 endpoint this may not be an issue as many users don’t have a dedicated Core machine.

I don’t have a problem with your desire to have tags behave the way you want, I’m not defending Roon’s approach merely explaining it. Bloody or otherwise.

1 Like

Or at least told your network is to blame. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

My library is a mix of ripped CDs, downloaded music (the vast majority of my library) and Tidal/Qobuz favorites. I have been streaming music and collecting digital music files since 2006, when I got my first Squeezebox. For over ten years I used Logitech Media Server to control and manage my music library but I switched to Roon at the beginning of 2016 and haven’t looked back since.

Oh and I listen to my entire music library at least twice a day. :rofl:

1 Like

Well I suspect this isn’t the right place for it & apologies for this all getting tied up on one specific, but here is an example of the tagging issue for terzinator…

Here are a set of tracks seen in my finder.

Here they are in the “tracks” section" of my tagging software.

Here they are in the “work/part” section of my tagging software.

And in Roon? Well, here they mostly are in Roon.

As you can see, the composer’s name has been completely dropped from the title, while other info has been added. I actually have no problem with that information being added, except that it’s an indicator that my tags are being ignored or over-ridden.

I would like the composer’s name in the title because most of the discs in this set have more than one composer featured.

By way of comparison, here’s an equivalent set of grabs for disc 6:

I am not here to convince to stick with Roon. However, 14 days is not enough to get to know Roon and its way of doing things. I used to stream all of my ripped CDs through an LMS-based system. I used to obsess about metadata, spending more time tinkering than listening to music. Then I tried Roon. The experience was jarring. I decided to stick with it for a couple of painful months, and, once I figured it out, I was hooked.

I simply let Roon do its thing, i.e., recognize my music. I have about 2,000 albums in my library - about half from my own CDs, the other half from Qobuz. Only 1 album remains unrecognized. Initially, I tried to control the metadata, just like I used to in LMS, but realized that it’s not the right approach. When you buy a CD, you have metadata that comes with it. You can’t change what’s printed on the cover, you can’t change the order of credits, dates, etc. It’s the same with Roon. Well, much better, actually, because Roon let’s you control certain important details like artists, dates, versions, etc.

In fact, the best way to use Roon, in my opinion, is to strip your FLAC files of metadata before uploading them to your Roon server, and let Roon recognize them for you. Even then, Roon will give you options to choose exactly the release you want from its “Identify album” screen, if, for some reason, you’re not happy with Roon’s selection. I find the process utterly painless. Now, I don’t need to obsess about metadata. Now, I just listen to music.

As far as the app crashing, my experience improved dramatically after I switched to Roon ROCK from using the Roon Server service on an Ubuntu machine. I use Roon Remote on an Amazon Kindle Fire - a somewhat basic Android tablet - and I experience really good stability. Roon is at least as stable as Amazon’s own apps, but it’s a lot more pleasant to use.

There are a lot of variables involved in having a great Roon experience. Fortunately, Roon can give you complete control, if you need it. You can tinker with your settings, optimize your networking, upgrade your hardware, build your own endpoints, etc. Alternatively, you can buy a plug-and-play device like the Nucleus, and any of the hundreds of commercially available Roon ready streamers, and just let Roon do its thing.

5 Likes

The thing is, where CDs are concerned, part of what I do is to add variants to the Discogs web site by photographing the tiny inscriptions on the bottom of the CDs & identifying new submissions or variants of existing submissions. I then like to include the Discogs release number as part of the album title so I know exactly what CD it is. I have something like six different versions of Japan’s “Oil On Canvas” for example, each with its own release date, variant number etc. Trying to get Roon to do that would be worse than pointless. And of course, that level of obsession is unusual (so I wouldn’t expect any software to cater for it) & just another part of my passion for music & for detail.

The point is that if it were possible to switch it so that Roon just used my metadata where I added it, none of this would be an issue. But, like I said at the top, Roon is a computer with an opinion.

Don’t get me started on tagging box sets! :rofl:

Ah a classical music lover. Well that’s an entirely different kettle of fish and has less to do with Roon’s missteps and more to do with file tagging of classical music versus popular music (aka every of other kind of music that is not classical music). Basically the standard file tags that are used for music files are based on popular music, which is far easier to tag than classical music. Unfortunately Roon, along with every other music library management software, struggles with how to deal with classical music AND popular music within the confines of the standard music file tag structure. Believe it or not, the Roon team is well aware of these issues and works very hard to give their classical music lovers a workable and satisfying Roon experience.

4 Likes

Out of curiosity, could you remove the “.” for “J.S. Bach” and enter it as “J S Bach” or just “Bach” and see what happens? I wonder if the “.” are confusing Roon?

Tried that. No difference. :smiley:

1 Like

I feel your pain, but I am sure you know that your use case is very, very unique. Roon is designed for the “average” music lover :slight_smile: They have to make compromises to streamline the experience for most people.

I keep track of different versions in the version tag. It’s very easy. Perhaps you could try that.

1 Like

It is just a case of allowing Roon to just use my tags. It’s not complicated. :slight_smile:

And yes, my case is probably quite unique, but I’m not asking for the moon. Just that Roon uses my meta tags like it says it is.

I’m sure you’ve tried lots of things, but just clarifying. In my own case, when I tell Roon in my file import settings to prefer the tag information, Roon uses the exact album title, exact artist, exact album artist, exact genre, etc. from my metadata tags. Maybe I’ve just been lucky. But I have about 8,800 albums, mostly FLAC files (my own rips). Very little classical however.

I got 3 months for a dollar. I’m actually not sure how far through I am. Maybe 2 months? I fall in & out of love with Roon on an almost daily, sometimes hourly, basis. There are so many great things about it, but ignoring my meta tags sucks large.

Oh my, even reading this made my heart skip a beat. I’d sooner cut off one of my fingers than delete all my metadata from my files. :grimacing:

5 Likes

All true Gary but there is not “artists” tag field in the import settings :frowning_face: and there lies the rub.

1 Like

I know, right. And people think I’m bonkers! :rofl:

1 Like

Ah, thanks Ralph, never noticed. But that’s probably because I’m 99% non classical.

Bonkers, my lord no. Passionate is the word I would use.

1 Like

As you can see from my screen grabs up the page, that is simply not happening.

To be fair, it works perfectly most of the time with more mainstream stuff, but I suspect that’s because I don’t go too mad with that so there’s not so much for Roon to bitch about. :rofl: