Which Firewall Ports & Destinations Does Roon Need Open To function?

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Windows 10, Intel NUC i5, 16gb RAM, Roon 1.7

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Gigabit Wired Network, Cisco/Ubiquiti Gear

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

USB/Ethernet, Lynx Hilo & Bricasti M5 Streamer

Description Of Issue

Can someone please provide a list of which Inbound/Outbound Internet Ports and ideally destination IP’s/DNS Names that are required for Roon to function using all features EXCEPT Tidal/QOBuzz?

I’ve recently split out the Core/Control onto different systems. I usually never give my Core Internet access but it appears that for whatever reason the Roon Control system is unable to pull Internet Radio Stations or Browse Live Radio if the Core has no Internet access. The Roon Control box has TCP 80/443 open out to the web but as soon as the Core has no access the control box yells about network connection failure.

If I need to provide Internet access to the Core I would much rather do so by only giving it exactly what it needs and not a single Port/Protocol more than that.

Thanks

Hi @Chris_F123,

Besides Live Radio, you will also need an internet connection for the periodic authorization that is required to use Roon. Using Roon in this way without full internet access is not something that we support or test with, and is generally not something we recommend.

I’ve moved this post over to #tinkering since this isn’t something officially supported, but you may be able to get some good feedback here from other Community members about how you might be able to get this to work.

Hello @dylan,

Thanks for taking a look at my question.

Perhaps I should clarify what I am asking. I am not attempting to “tinker” I am asking what Ports Roon requires to function. The mention of having an Internet connection I certainly get but what Ports/Protocols and destinations are needed by Roon?

I imagine this may be a pretty popular topic as these days just opening every port, protocol and destination for a given program via the hand grenade approach is probably not the best idea. If I knew what this information was I would no longer need to fall into the classification of attempting to “tinker”.

Thanks

There are a variety of ports that Roon Core and RAATServer use to communicate with Roon endpoints and Roon Controllers.

sudo lsof -i -P |less

will give you a list of those, but what’s the point?

None of those ports need to be reachable from the outside world. And, of course, unless you’ve configured your router to port-forward, they aren’t.

Your question about “Outbound Internet Ports” is meaningless. Outbound connections are always on random high-numbered ports selected by the OS. There isn’t a “list” of those.

Again, unless you are port-forwarding, that is false.

You are correct in your assessment that knowing the Ports used on the “Internal” network has no point which is the reason why I didn’t ask for that information. Especially given the fact that Roon only works on “Flat” networks anyway so all systems are already on the same VLAN/Subnet and can talk to each other just fine.

My question about Outbound Ports is not meaningless and No not all applications/services use random high number ports. Your making an assumption that everyone lives by the All things on the inside network are allowed to talk to anything they want on the outside network. Maybe on your leaky network but not on a properly locked down one.

Are you suggesting that if one wishes to browse the Web that Port 80/443/53 are all irrelevant and not required or should be accounted for? They are somehow “known” ports that are not random or high numbered. What if I wished to send email? Perhaps I shall assume everyone is still using Port 25? What if my ISP is using Port 587? Maybe there are some known Ports involved or maybe we should stick with your assumption that everything is allowed Outbound and will just work?

So now that this pissing match is done do you have any useful information to contribute here or are you just trying to stir the pot?

Those are the destination ports on the remote server, not the outbound ports on your machine, The outbound ports on your machine are randomly assigned by the OS.

If you’re trying to decide what destination ports you need to allow, the only non-obvious destination (on the WAN) is TCP port 9200.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.