Which HQP Filter are you using? [2015-2023]

That’s a great thing! I need to try that at some point with my measurement rig to see what it can squeeze out of DACs!

Since you have CUDA offload, it is up to the GPU. Maybe something like RTX3080Ti for example would fix that. Problem of course are the currently insane GPU prices and being able to obtain one in the first place!

1 Like

By the way, you can really happily set poly-sinc-gauss-long for Nx filter and then it’ll likely run on the existing setup.

2 Likes

I also changed the settings to fix rate 45MHz and no more stuttering for 48K family (from 48 to 192).

4 Likes

@jussi_laako sorry for my annoying report again. But this time this is really a big good news! After I tuned my MSI Z690-A Pro motherboard (set OC 5100MHz / under volt 1.3V / DDR5 XMP1 on), 48 family to DSD1024x48 using AMSDM7EC 512+fs finally works!

I think the stuttering once per minute was caused by “uneven” CPU frequency (i.e. motherboard BIOS default was turbo boost mode. Each core had their own freq and also had freq spike). The previous screenshot the CPU loading was not that high for 48 family upsampling so I thought it could be solved by tuning the hardware. After did some research and experiments, it succeeded. One of the benefit after tuning is the CPU temperature looks better. All reasonably controlled between 70~80deg C.

6 Likes

HQPe 4.28.3.x86amd
I thought I would try the AMSDM7 512 modulator instead of the popular ASDM7ECv2 version which works fine for me at DSD256.
To my ears, there is not a big difference other than I can get higher rates of DSD (512 or 1024), with a bit lower CPU temp and processing load at DSD512 with AMSDM7 512 than ASDMECv2 at DSD256.

poly-sinc-gauss-xla, AMSDM7 512+fs, DSD 512 is quite good actually on my humble i5 10400 CPU, 12gb ram.

2 Likes

xd
I’m very excited that my tablet (Surface Pro 7 i5) can easily be my new roon core. Max temp about 75C with HQPlayer.

1 Like

I’ve had my SonicTransporter i5 with Roon and HQ Player embedded for about a month. Moving around a lot with DSD but am currenrly listening to the following. These PCMsetting are actually excellent. Lot of body and bass with good separation. This is a tweakers paradise.

1 Like

PT, Prog On!

I was doing convolution in Roon. I removed that and changed to convolution in HQPlayer. Major improvement.

2 Likes

or
Screenshot_20220117_235945

2 Likes

I keep coming back to this one. I have been trying a lot of the filters, was using gauss-xla for a while, but i think this one is my fav so far.

1 Like

I’ve been on this for a few weeks now and feel no need to change ever again… :smiley:

IMG_8866

3 Likes

Yea, that’s a great combo. I’m using the same. I tried yesterday poly-sinc-mp and the short-mp versions. Initially they sounded great but as the day went on my hearing became bothered. Ringing in my ears. Now back to gauss-long for whatever reason it doesn’t bother me like mp versions do.

1 Like

Hi there Mr Bass

I tried this combo for a while. I settled on ASDM5ECv2. With my Lampi DAC, I get more air, separation and bass over the ASDM7 alternative. I guess this is totally driven by how the DAC converts?

Using gaussXLA and Gauss-long for Nx.

Nikko

2 Likes

@Nick_Harmer which Lampi DAC is this with? I am still dialing in the right config for my Baltic 3 and have been trying to decide if 5th or 7th order modulator is the best fit.

I have the Baltic3, same as you. Well, almost. Mine has a volume control :wink:

1 Like

I think Jussi recommended 5th over 7th for DACs that use ESS chips. If I’m wrong hopefully he will comment.

Are you suggesting that Lampizator uses ESS chips? While they like to hide what chips they use, some evidence would suggest they are using AKM, not ESS. Would be nice to know.

No, sorry to give that impression. I don’t know what chip it uses. I just meant that the DAC chip might account for preferences in settings. Based on posts here and on AS I assumed 7th order would always be better. But recently I stumbled across a post where Jussi suggested that wasn’t the case. My DAC uses ESS.

Now I have been with ASDM7ECv2 giving SDM256 (12880000 Hz) over DoP, poly-sinc-xtr-short-mp for some days and I must say it has some extra spice to rythmic and drums. And which I was impressed by, still silent, steady highs without painstaking high frequencies that never stops. It is dead silent high up, like the gauss-xla.
I wish I could understand, some graphic explanations or anything that could give more visible understanding of the filters.
I wonder, are there any settings in the RME ADI-2 DAC fs that I should check or choose, to set it up ideally for USB DSD256. What does it really mean to recalculate a bitstream, ending up in a DAC, that surely will apply some of its own processes. Meaning, how can an end result be described for a HQPe setting without knowing the DAC and its setting? I know it is different sound from the settings in HQPe, it is very clearly audible, but damn that I do not understand the process itself. Anyone care to explain, or are there any links that could be helpful?