Which HQP Filter are you using? [2015-2023]

This sounds like the DAC has a digital volume control, possibly controllable through USB, that is performed before DoP analysis. And it is not set to 0 dBFS. Any such volume control will destroy the DoP and result DAC staying in PCM mode and only playing out a quiet hiss.

1 Like

Correct thatā€™s why I was able to change the volume to ā€œHardware modeā€ on Ifi streamer and it all worked fine again. Thanks for technical details @jussi_laako I really enjoy the hqplayer!

1 Like

When I select DSP source, it jumps back to DSD over PCM (DoP), this is because of my DAC-60 no speak DSD direct :frowning: only DoP

I have no idea how to run ASIO as another choice, like is mentioned here :frowning:

DoP versus Asio native - what are the differences/similarities? - iFi audio.

In any case all stable and working DSD 44.1x64, when I go to DSD 44.1x128 high-resolution FLAC files start cutting with hiccups, CPU at 300% :boom:

Iā€™m happpy with DSD 44.1x64, until I save for a mini M1/16GB RAM. No hurry!!

On the other hand, talking about heath I donā€™t know if this forum is the right place to ask for this advice, but since my amplifier is on an enclosed cabinet with around 7-inch space, I got a fan to help ventilation, which will this, in any case, affect the sound? Like interference with Wifi or anything with the DAC?

It will be on top of here and I was thinking of having the ifi Streamer on top. There are 3 holes on the side of the cabinet. Two for the cables and an extra hole for ventilation. The cabinet has a door that usually is open and closed when the amplifier is off.

Many thanks again @Chunhao_Lee @IgorSki @jussi_laako

Iā€™m curious if it would work native DSD without DoP using 5.15 kernel. Such as my latest NAA OS image. If you have something to try it on, just as experiment. Like a PC that you could boot up with the image (no installation needed), RPi4.

On old kernels, specific devices would need to be white-listed. Then I later changed it such that it is auto-detected and just manufacturer idā€™s need to be white-listed. Now it has become such much unofficial standard (no specified in UAC, but de-facto), that this white-listing is not needed anymore on 5.15 kernel and newer.

2 Likes

I would like to try this, Iā€™m not a pc fan and donā€™t have access at the moment, but will definitely consider it. The other issue is that ifi streamer wonā€™t let me either because of DAC-60 limited to 128 DoP or 256ASIO

Iā€™m just curious if my proposed way would make it work ā€œMarkerless DSDā€, IOW, native DSD without DoP.

It is still possibility that it would require some custom USB commands to make it work.

1 Like

I totally understand now, in that case will be a game changer for using full potential of DAC-60. I downloaded the supposedly ASIO software for Mac foobar2000 for Mac but I donā€™t understand how to make it work in conjunction with HQP. Any idea?

ASIO is practically Windows-only, and always manufacturer specific. So the driver is always from the hardware vendor.

Possible alternative to try out is a Linux based device with new enough kernel so that the integrated driver could possibly work with your DAC. But we wonā€™t know until someone just tries out.

1 Like

What Jussi is asking you to try (if you can) is use any spare Intel based computer or an RPi4 and load his latest NAA image onto a USB stick / microSD card.

NAA will boot via USB and wonā€™t do anything to your data on your computer.

Native DSD might work with the latest 5.15 kernel of Jussiā€™s NAA image.

For any Intel computer (can be any laptop) burn this image to USB stick using etcher:
https://www.signalyst.eu/bins/naa/images/naa-422-x64.7z

For RPi4 burn this to microSD card using etcher:
https://www.signalyst.eu/bins/naa/images/naa-422-raspberrypi4.7z

Itā€™s a pretty quick test.

Even for troubleshooting alone, I would recommend every HQPlayer user own an RPi4. Especially for network related troubleshooting.

3 Likes

I think it wonā€™t auto jump back to DoP if DAC does not support native mode :thinking:ā€¦ Before you change that setting please disconnect your DAC first. After changing the parameter reboot the ZS then see. And also re-check your HQPlayer setting I mentioned.

1 Like

Many thanks for your help!

I think we can get a laptop to test! Got etcher app already for Mac OS. I was at Sham Shui Po computer center to look for a Raspberry, but not available! Only can get by Amazon. My question will a RPi4 with 4gb be powerful enough to handle HQP features? Seems like a reasonable investment.

1 Like

Let my try again then! BTW I was able to enjoy 44.1x128 using a Mac book pro M1! It does feel brighter than 64, but 64 Is not that bad also, @IgorSki mention on the past.

Would a RPI4 be more powerful in conjunction with ZS than Mac Mini 2012 8Gb Ram?

The test Jussi mentioned is only to use an RPi4 or Intel computer/laptop, only as NAA.

Your current machine will continue to do whatever HQPlayer DSP you are doing - and will play to NAA.

NAA is like Roonā€™s ā€˜endpointā€™ - it doesnā€™t need much CPU at all. Thatā€™s why RPi4 or even Intel Atom CPU is enough for NAA.

If you have an Intel laptop to test latest NAA I linked above, that is better than buying an RPi4 as it costs you no money for this quick test.

Plus if thereā€™s any errors, the laptop will show you immediately on the screen. With RPi4 you need to buy a special mini HDMI cable and connect to a screen and keyboard etc to see errors (if there are any).

But for actual NAA usage (another endpoint for your home) then RPi4 is quite good. You donā€™t want or need a screen connected to RPi4 once things are working well of course.

1 Like

Iā€™ll get and test it on the pc laptop. Although is an old one, like easy 10 years, is that ok or needs something more recent? Many thanks

Same here! I find myself toggling between ASDM7ECv2/DSD256 and AMSDM7 512+fs/DSD512 with poly-sinc-gauss-long. Hard to tell which one is superior.

1 Like

Itā€™s easy for meā€¦. ASDM7ECv2/DSD256 is definitely better!

2 Likes

@Moises_Mehl Iā€™ll reply in NAA thread

1 Like

ASR -Amir has just demolished the Chord M-Scaler .He is going to bench test HQPlayer soon. It will be interesting to see actual test results , rather than subjective SQ opinions .I am hoping definitive HQP settings are established.

2 Likes

ifi-streamer-loop

It moves back to DoP. Iā€™ve disconnected the DAC and still do the same. All other apps are closed while just making this change.

Which SAVE button you click?

1 Like