Which HQP Filter are you using? [2015-2023]

I was able to stop the audio from dropping at 44.1x128 by adjusting ifi Streamer buffer at max.

CPU is with less load, enjoying at 12:00 am on Beyerdynamic T5 headphones.

This is my HQP settings working stable

Playing 192kHz 24bit DSDv2, SDM, DSD128 :star_struck: :star_struck: :star_struck:

Showing 5.6Mhz now! Iā€™m grateful! Listening on Beyerdinamic

3 Likes

I tried both button and doesnā€™t work :sweat_smile:

Nice looking amp

1 Like

But seriously what do you expect to learn from ASR community in regards to HQP? SNR measurement on selection of filters we rarely use with conclusion that all HQP benefits are in ultrasonic range and thereā€™s no sense in using it? And certainly test with Topping, most likely on ESS chip, that would not make sense.

You may also search ASR to see a huge Jussiā€™s disagreement with their key measurements, saying itā€™s not representative enough and they are not taking bandwith into account. In return community picked on Jussi as he does not want in his own full right to disclose his measurement rig, so ASR says his measurements are not credibleā€¦ frankly its just funny because ASR just picking on words and not taking into account the core argument. Quick summary from ASR - oversampling is stupid and not needed.

If you search on the net for ā€œarchimago hqplayerā€ you will find a very decent review from Archimago with measurements already, And if Iā€™m not mistaken his measurements has been also discussed on this forum. Quick summary from that - HQPlayer does quality job (especially with DSD/SDM)

And for the difference in 5EC vs 7EC vs 5ECv2 and 7ECv2, well I think non-bias blind testing with sufficient statistical data may answer the concerns for those who doubt that there is a difference.

PS: Saying above I have a huge respect to the work that Amir is doing, it is immense, I have rebuild my system pretty much completely based on his research and Iā€™m ā€œsponsoringā€ ASR, but you really need to take some things from them with a pinch of salt,

EDIT: Here. I found discussion on this forum already

2 Likes

Congrats on this! I envy you for many wonderful discoveries ahead with all sorts of filters, modulators and rates !

You may want to check a link I have just posted above to Archimagoā€™s research on HQPlayer, he visually shows the difference in DSD64 vs 128 for example. With 128 being undoubtfully superior in many senses.

1 Like

Iā€™m not expecting much positive, given that they practically banned meā€¦ But weā€™ll see.

4 Likes

ASR? All they do is measure things and often they do that poorly. I have zero respect for Amir because all he wants to is discredit high end audio and make manufacturers look bad.

1 Like

Many thanks :pray:t2:! Iā€™m an Accuphase fan! They are really a piece of jewel :gem:

1 Like

I have to give thanks to you and everyone on this forum @Chunhao_Lee @dabassgoesboomboom @jussi_laako for enlighten me on HQPlayer potential and special thanks for sharing iFi Streamer @Chunhao_Lee , a real game changer for this purpose.

5 Likes

Hehe, same here. I asked at their forum how they could consider it science when there is no proof that everything that we hear can be measured (which is a base requirement for drawing any sort of conclusions from measurements).

I got permanently banned :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I donā€™t have problem with measurements as such. I do massive amount of measurements as part of R&D and QA. And before measurements, also lot of digital domain analysis.

But I donā€™t think their measurement set is sufficient for the conclusions they draw from it.

8 Likes

Personally I think HQPlayer is absolutely brilliant. If it sounds good, it is goodā€¦.measurements??:slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Agreed, I donā€™t mind the measurements either, in fact, they are very important in a lot of design and manufacturing of audio equipment. But Amirā€™s conclusions that he draws from some simple 12khz jitter measurements are often laughable.

And how many times have we read from Amir ā€œThere is some [insert problem here] but its not audibleā€. Audible for whom? In what system? In what room? Those kinds of statements are the very opposite of what real science is.

1 Like

Amirā€™s view tends to be that there is one relevant set of measurements, perform well on those and thatā€™s it. Jussi and HQ Player shows us a) that so much of digital audio is about compromises or tradeoffs and b) that how we each are likely to choose differently when we, not the equipment designer, is allowed to choose which tradeoffs we prefer.

Photoshop taught us that about digital photography ā€“ my preferred level of sharpness and saturation may be quite different than yours, but I still want a camera that provides me with files that represent the maximum dynamic range and number of pixels (captured through high quality lenses) so that when the software goes to work it has great underlying data to work with.

I see how HQ Player operates with digital music data the same way ā€“ you want to feed it with data captured through the best hardware (DAC,power supply, nrtwork) you can start with and then let the software do its magic.

1 Like

ā€ And for the difference in 5EC vs 7EC vs 5ECv2 and 7ECv2, well I think non-bias blind testing with sufficient statistical data may answer the concerns for those who doubt that there is a difference.ā€

Have you seen or done such a test? I have never seen any type of blind testing performed on HQ Player. I use HQ Player myself, and I have ā€œdecidedā€ that it sounds good, but knowing how easy it is to trick oneself Iā€™m still a bit skeptical. Iā€™ve raised the question before in this thread, where people rave over huge differences in filters and modulators. Iā€™d like to see them pick a winner in DBTā€¦

@Marten_Skoger, nope I have never seen a reference to such a test, nor did I attempted any sort of such. I know my wife would love to blind-test me to make fun of me, may be I should let her!? hahaha

At one point I became totally convinced in total SQ superiority of HQplayer on my systems and ever since I gratefully accept what master @jussi_laako delivers as the result of his R&D and QA work.

speaking about huge differences :slight_smile: today I came across an interesting album

This composition ā€œJourney of Lifeā€ starts with a combination of drum and voice with middle east/north african type of rythm. My ā€˜defaultā€™ playlist setting was ā€˜gauss-xlaā€™ and I cought my self that it did not sound punchy enough. Next I tried ā€œext3ā€ and for this composition it was noticably better with drums getting more ā€˜bodyā€™. But the winner was Sinc-LL

The realism of the drums in the above combination is insane.

To your earlier comment - could I guess the difference blindly? I donā€™t knowā€¦ but I invite you to give it a try, especially the difference between ā€˜gauss-xlaā€™ and ā€˜Sinc-Llā€™ is very pronounced, i thinkā€¦

2 Likes

Interesting. Have you tried the poly-sinc-gauss family? In my case, I have 1x = poly-sinc-gauss-xla, Nx = poly-sinc-gauss-hires-ip. I listen to lots of modern jazz, including other Tord Gustavsen albums, and I donā€™t feel a lack of percussion punch. Just listening to that track (thanks Qobuz) and the drum/voice balance feels just right, the drum overtones and decay complementing the voice texture so organically. But it could also be down to differences in gear. Setup: NAA endpoint>Intona isolator>Holo Spring 2 KTE>DNA Stellaris Special>ZMF Atrium LTD (koa).

BTW, if you are enjoying that track, I suggest you take a listen to Amina Alaoui (Alcantara, Siwan, Arco Iris) or Dhafer Youssef (Birds Requiem, Sounds of Mirrors, Diwan of Beauty and Odd).

1 Like

Iā€™ve been stuck on sinc-Ls and sinc-Ll lately.

More of sinc-Ls though with 7ECv2. :notes:

1 Like

This was not to say poly-sinc-gauss family is not good, it is in fact great! And without knowing that you can get a tiny notch differences - ā€œxlaā€ wouldā€™ve been perfect! In a last few days Iā€™m driven away by testing my new discovery, that is DSD@1024. My comparison over that particular composition happened between the following:

poly-sinc-gauss-xla with AMSDM7EC 512+fs@1024x48
poly-sinc-ext3 with AMSDM7EC 512+fs@1024x48
sinc-Ll with with ASDM7ECv2@256x48

So not only the filters, but also SDM rates and modulators. For the other compositions on the almum the difference is less striking if anything. I was also surprised that on my system I was not able to get stable Sinc-Ll@512, it took 11G of RAM, btw.

But, voila, iā€™m still convinced Sinc-Ll is a winner in the above three choices (ok, not really apple to apple, but stillā€¦) even @256. I may revisit it later today dropping ā€˜gauss-hires-ā€¦ā€™ in a mix out of curiosity and also comparing at different rates. But this is the whole point - there are sweetspots and when you can find one its a bliss!

Another difference in what we hear may be the end-point. I listen on a floorstanders ProAc D20R. Room is with out correction so suppose I have a room factor as well.

But I would still insist that in ā€œJourney of Lifeā€ Sinc-Ll gives a punch! :drum:

Thank you for this tips! Lately Iā€™ve been listening to a lot of ECM catalogue. I will definatelly listen to these. I would throw also Anouar Brahem ina mix! :slight_smile:

EDIT: just tried, non scientific, -gauss-hires-lp is not too bad at all !!!

2 Likes