Which HQP Filter are you using? [2015-2023]

I like Sinc-L even more, except on tracks that come across a bit sharp; interestingly, those usually show a high number on the apodising error counter, so it could be the artifacts in the recordings themselves (or their digital versions).

Sinc-M to me sounds like a slightly smoothed-over and more in-your-face version of Sinc-L whereas Sinc-L sounds like the the highest resolution sound I’ve ever heard.

2 Likes

Thanks for all that info. On the one hand, it makes me think that my DAC is holding the sound back in terms of altering the output to some degree. On the other, though, I’m wondering how significant those differences would be, given the huge price difference between my Gus and the Spring 3 or the May. Unless Gus R26 is not far behind the Holo products, then that would be a reasonably-priced option.

I’d be reluctant to try another chip-based DAC solely based on the fact that it’s got an AKM chip inside because my experience shows that there are many other factors to consider when it comes to DAC design that can limit how far it can spread its wings, especially when fed externally-upsampled data. E.g. I used to own a D90 (AKM version) and both in its stock form and fed Roon’s upsampled signal it was nowhere near the quality of the Gus. Which makes me think that despite having that ESS chipset inside, the Gus is actually doing a great job at both being a plug-and-play device as well as a receiver for HQPlayer :slightly_smiling_face:

This question has probably been asked before, but I’d appreciate some guidance anyway - is HQPlayer capable of utilising an AMD graphics card’s processing power, such as the 6800XT, or does it require an Nvidia card to be able to offload a significant amount of work to it?

Nvidia only at the moment, since CUDA is Nvidia-only. AMD also has similar API called ROCm, but for commercial reasons it is practically limited only to few of their expensive workstation and data center cards.

I used to have partial offload support working on 6700XT/6800XT, but even this was Linux only and caused quite a bit of negative feedback due to additional installation complexity even when the functionality wasn’t used. Then AMD broke even that. So it is disabled at the moment.

All of us here are searching for “that” combo where you sit back and say…thats it, thats what ive been searching for. Unfortunately its just not that simple trying to find it.

Its ok going by recommendations from others here, but what are the chances that we have the same system? Ok some of us may have the same DAC, but same amp, speakers, cables etc? I presume none of us here have an identical sounding system due to this.

Ive been searching for that right combo in HqPlayer for quite some time now, but never really felt it had the right balance. I even went back to plain roon for a while as I felt it had a better “balance” to the filters/Dithers/Modulators combos I had tried…until a week or so a go.

I believe I have now found that combo “balance” that wows me in Hqplayer. It took a while but I believe now I have got there. No more switching and critical listening. I can now enjoy the music…phew :slight_smile:

Suitable filter choice also tends to depend on music genre. I switch filter to some extent based on the genre I’m listening to. That’s why there are some suggestions of possibly good matches in the manual.

1 Like

I still believe its also system dependent. Indeed I followed the guide but its just half the story. Didnt really appreciate how much the Dither made an impact with the filter. I was always just using LNS15.

For the record, I now use Sinc-S and NS5. For me it really works in my system…Antipodes CX/EX (OLADRA Spec), Aqua La Scala Optologoc II, Bryston Pre Amp, Anthem Power Amp, KEF Ref 1 Speakers, Switches, cables etc.

I mostly listen to Electronic Music and Jazz…mostly :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Anyone having a spare or replaced socket 1200 I9-10900K at a reasonable christmas price? It is just the sources 24/192 that cannot play with my settings, but sometimes I go mad when the interruptions begin … I think that I am home otherwise, don’t change anything now, Jussi … :wink: :upside_down_face: :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

DSD256 over PCM, 32 bit, auto sample rate but max 12.288.000 samples
ASDM7ECv2
poly-sinc-gauss-xla

Discontinued Roon, only play the HQPe player using HQP Client and the … remote HQPD remote v4
Rudimentory, not so sexy, sounding much better. Now we are two friends of same opinion; HQP plays better itself than Roon → HQP does. The third one, perhaps end of week.

Never sounded better. Sweet, but with an enormous punch when ever there is one. Not the Krell way (punch everything) but instead subtle, sweet and when musician, singer or solist phrasing requires “wham” in your face. Dead silent backdrop. I mean “digital black dead”. Wonder where I go from here? Must rebuild my speakers to diamond/statement edition, to take full advantage of the sweet highs. Exquisite. Thanks Jussi.

2 Likes

@jussi_laako what settings would you recommend for an Audio GD R-27 (R2R Dac)? Audio GD R-27
My idea is to set it to NOS mode and let HQPlayer do the upsampling job.
So far I can go up to DSD 128 only, to go to 256 or maybe 512 I need to update the USB firmware. Not a big issue, but if reckon PCM is the optimal solution, then I skip that step.

Thanks!

Excuse for OT comment, but that is some seriously built hardware in the link you posted … :slight_smile:

Heavy hardware for a headphone dac and amplifier!
It sounds great to my taste, really enjoyable.

/OT

1 Like

OK, I can hear it now having had a break from my headphones. Sinc filters are nowhere near the stage size of the Gauss-Long. I’m not sure if it’s the depth, but the end result is that sounds breathe more freely and are far less congested. In some songs it is very obvious. I’m impressed :slight_smile:

Are there any significant trade-offs for this result? Is it just a matter of a slightly less steep filter or are we talking about a slow filter and perhaps some phase shift as well (as opposed to linear phase)?

Maybe this question doesn’t belong here, but I recently get the trial of HQplayer, and I want to know if Im using properly.

This is my actual configuration

And this is my perfomance with it

Im using with a FiiO K9pro AKM on i5 6600k and 1080gtx.
Its too much cpu/gpu load for this equipment?

Should I change any option?

Thanks in advance for your help

I don’t see any notable trade-offs. It is combination of things, like the filter itself which translates in such things as shape of the roll-off curve. No phase shift, it is completely linear phase.

It also comes more down to balancing different aspects of the filter, such as length of the filter in time domain, frequency response characteristics, stop-band attenuation (which in part translates to reconstruction accuracy), etc. And finding a way to come up with something where it is possible to do as much as possible mathematically opposite things at the same time.

Especially for RedBook and 48k sampled content, reconstruction with best possible quality is especially challenging and still under continuous development. Hires content is much easier, because it is not crammed in such a tiny digital box.

Looks perfectly fine to me. You are utilizing your hardware up to the point where you have a good margin but it is not yet stressed too much. So you have some margin left for other things or future updates.

If this would be under typical gaming load, all CPU cores plus GPU would be at pretty much constant 100%.

Thanks for the response Jussi.

I know the process could be demanding, but a friend with a rme2adi dac seems to get less load on his computer than mine.

So the question is not only for the consumption, want to know if everything is configured the way it should. :+1:

I haven’t listened in a couple days and the usual filters I swap between, xla, gauss hires, ext2,ext3 were sounding a bit thin tonight. Tried some 512 and EC filters and they are fuller than I remember. I think the low shelf I was always running kinda limited the effects a bit.
So, I tested a few new ones tonight back up to 1024 and tried this combo and wow. That fullness, body and bass and most importantly, emotional connection is back! I’m still wondering how Bliss/May can sound so well without the additional bass shelf I have run before.

4 Likes

I finally pulled a trigger for license. HQP plays great on my Roon + Holo Spring 3 + ATC50ASL system and gives that last delicate lift to the sound quality. I run desktop version on my Win11 server, which also runs my Roon core. Currently using DSD256 - ASDM7ECv2 - poly-sinc-gauss-long. This was easy plase to start after so many recommendations here. poly-sinc-gauss is great also. I have quickly tried poly-sinc-ext2 but it’s not as good as gauss-filters. There’s a lot to try but currently my setup sounds superb so maybe just music for a while.

4 Likes

Same CPU with same clock speed and same settings?

For a quad core, I would set Multicore DSP to greyed, unless you have already tested that checked gives you better performance. But I don’t see anything else there.

Seems to he doesnt setup the HQplayer correctly on Mac, after enable SDM pack he has the same consumption.

Anyways, wanna know if I setup the k9pro AKM correctly, if anyone could help me…

Thanks for your response again